Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400E vs BMW 650 dualsport

Well, I been looking around for a flip up helemt, a modern ridding jacket and possibly another ride.

So I stops into this Beemer shop along the interstate and this nice guy comes up and asks to help me.

The rich sure do live different........ nice low key soft sell. We look at a $450 flip up helmet. This thing was realy nice. Has a buIlt in sun shade on the inside that you can flip half way down, vents all over, very comfy.

We get talking about bikes and dualsport and I am thinking this BMW would be a major pig on the trails I ride. But this guy is so laid back and knowlegable I let him string me along. I tell him how I straddles the V-strom and it felt like a cow. He startS telling me about the 650 water cooled single BMW makes. 4 gallon tank, 62MPG ridding hard, 72 MPG taking it easy, heated grips, fuel injected, ABS brakes. This thing has it all. Gas tank is between your ankles and the thing up top that looks tank is air filter and oil tank like a gold wing.....

So next thing you know I am slipping on that $450 helmet and taking a demo bike for a ride.

That fuel injection is smooth as silk. I can't wait for our DRZ to get it.... The BEEmer really did the street well and I am sure I could get used to it. Was a bit wide at the legs. Oh and the hardest thing to get used to was being flat footed with knees bent at the stop sign. 30" seat height!!!!!! whooo Hoooo Nice comfy Lazy boy seat.... Oh yeah baby!!!

Well I saw this field and couldn't resist. So I puttered around a bit but there was no way I wanted to scratch a $8500 bike much less try and pick up this 375 pound pig so I took it back and complained about the Honda shifter feel and sqeaky disc brake and wide feel at the ankles and to tall gearing and the helmet was way to noisey for that kind of bread and thank you very much have a nice day.

I sped home in my Lightning pickup and jumped on my DRZ and apologized for being unfaithfull. My little yellow old faithfull fired right up at the push of the button and idled very nice thank you. I took it around the block a few times and it was like holding hands with your girlfriend after a fight with the prospect of something fun later.

Anyway, the nice part was getting to rub ellbows with the upper class and even go for a ride without having someone twist your arm to buy something. I got out of there scott free and even used there bathroom. hehehehe I know I am a sick puppy but just felt like sharing all this.

I got to get out more. That was fun. "JUST SAY NO!"

My friend had one of those 650 BM's. Nice bikes and very comfy on long rides. They handle well on normal dirt roads, he had the Dakar version. But they are just too damn heavy ! Just lifting it from the sidestand takes alot of effort ! They handle funny in the dirt like they want to run wide in the corners 😢

The world of dual sport bikes is a spectrum from mostly road oriented stuff like the Tiger down to the DRZ / Honda which are more dirt friendly. The single BMW is more road oriented in the sense that it's wonderful up until dirt roads and then the mass takes over.

I guess you got the Schuberth hat. I tried that as I like the features, but it didn't fit my Shoei head.

Personally, I can't see a why for the F650's. For that money, you can get a KLR and a DRZ (OK, used some) - one for mostly road / commuting the other for dirt.

I have both a KLR and DRZ400s, I rode the KLR once after I bought a the DRZ one year ago, nice road bike,well sort of. If I was going to ride around the Planet I would buy a new KLR and set it up correctly and go for it, anything else I would ride the DRZ, Anyone want to buy a KLR and cheap? 😢

I have both a KLR and DRZ400s, I rode the KLR once after I bought a the DRZ one year ago, nice road bike,well sort of. If I was going to ride around the Planet I would buy a new KLR and set it up correctly and go for it, anything else I would ride the DRZ, Anyone want to buy a KLR and cheap? 😢

Well, there is the KLR net and www.advrider.com. The latter has a lot of silly KLR fanatics who think the world will revolve on those bikes. Two challenged me to a race - my sportbike against their KLR's on pavement! I figure both places, esp. advrider should have folks looking for them.

I also had a KLR and would NeVER trade my DRZ for one. If I were doing the world trip, I think I'd still take the DRZ.

From experience: I sold my 650BMW to buy the DRZ S. No comparison really. Both are great bikes. I put 20,000 miles on the Beemer last year. Never do that on the DRZ. The BMW is heavy but on fire roads it is pretty good. I put an extra set of 17" supermoto wheels on mine and did the front forks and it was very cool. It will not go where the DR will go. If you have to put a foot down off camber, call the tow truck. Still a great road bike.

... If I were doing the world trip, I think I'd still take the DRZ.

Don't think my arse would survive across the state much less around the world on my DRZ. Thank God when I'm on a road trip I have to stop every 100 miles for gas. I've been riding the DRZ for 2 1/2 years now and still haven't gotten used to the seat. My old KLR now, I could go all day and still be able to feel my butt. But I wouldn't trade back. What's a little numbness compared to the difference off-road? I'm just waiting for the longer term report on the Corbin seats. Then it's either one of those or a gel.

dr.jack whatever you do don't get the gel seat. I did that and it didn't last a week on my bike. It is harder than the stock seat and it has this tendecies to put all of your weight on the "jewels" because of the pitch it has to it. I can ride for a hour or so before my arse gets sore on the stock seat but 10-15 minutes into riding with the gel, it started hurting. Just friendly words of advice though>

dr.jack whatever you do don't get the gel seat. I did that and it didn't last a week on my bike. It is harder than the stock seat and it has this tendecies to put all of your weight on the "jewels" because of the pitch it has to it. I can ride for a hour or so before my arse gets sore on the stock seat but 10-15 minutes into riding with the gel, it started hurting. Just friendly words of advice though>

I agree about the gel. I ride a Moto Guzzi on long trips. Sometimes 1500 miles in a weekend. For extended seat time you want a harder seat. I know it sounds crazy, but if you have a soft foam seat it will crush under your weight and pretty soon you are sitting on the seat pan (or frame rails) without any padding. Gel is better than soft foam for long distance, but I haven't found anything yet that compares to stiffer foam and a seat that is made to fit your butt. I don't really worry about the seat on my DRZ, because I keep standing up every few seconds to come down off a jump. 😢

Hey! I had a BMW GS ADV and I'm not upper class! All beemer guys are not rich...I'm just too big for any of those tiny bikes. (6'6" and 325) A DRZ is like riding a friggen Schwinn to me.

PS...with the right set up and rider you can rip the snot out of those things in the desert.

Just sayin.

V

corbin seat. corbin seat. corbin seat.

the mantra of all day on a DRZ.

IMO, the F650 handles like a WeeStrom. Smooth on pavement, scary on singletrack.

Me too ditched the F650 for a DRZ. I had a brand new Dakar one, with ABS.

Weak points:

1) The bike fiels top heavy, like you said, if you put a foot down off camber

2) The head light mounting sucks, when I landed the thing, my whole head light popped out of it's mounting

3) The electricity with the BMS (BMW Motor System) sucks electricity at night, because it sometimes doesn't want to go to sleep: flat battery / dead battery in the morning and unrevoverable

4) Everytime you stall the motor and use the electric starter, you need to switch off the ABS

5) Forget to switch off the ABS in sand or dirt? Looks like your bike is on ice

6) Front spring is way to weak, needs to be replaced, even on-road

7) Upgrading the tank for more gallons will cost you! 2.000$ from Touratech

8) The steel bar will bend on your first get off

9) Did I already say it's heavy??

But one of the nicest fire road bikes I ever rode!

Noppy

+1 to Noppy - took my Dakar on a 12k mile trip in 30 days this summer. Road some scary off road stuff in Idaho, Arizona and Georgia with Tourances. Bike will burn down the highway (for a dirt bike) and will make it through the dirt. If it starts to tip, just get out of the way. I don't think I will ever get rid of my Dakar.

Guys, I really don't think the BMW is trying to compete with a DRZ. Two really different bikes with different riding intentions. One is street oriented, one is dirt oriented.

Kind if like comparing a Jeep Rubicon to a Honda CRV