Sign in to follow this  

96 RM forks first ride.

I picked up my 96 RM forks from the local shop yesterday. He put in my eibach .49 springs, new seals, and fresh 10wt oil. When I was installing them, the first thing I noticed was the increase in travel. 😢 I didn't measure, but I estimate the increase in travel to be about 3 inches. As burned and others have said, it was an easy direct bolt on. 😢

After installation, a couple of hard pushes on the forks revealed a much stiffer front end. I loaded up the bikes and headed out to my buddies place where we have a little track set up. On the old shocks, anytime I was more than 5 feet in the air my forks would bottem out. I got about 8 feet of air on one jump and didn't bottem out. Also, stoppies seemed to be much easier since the front end wasn't diving so much. 😢 I can't wait to try them out on the local trails.

Sounds great, I really would like to experience riding without bottoming out so much. I wonder if the stock forks can be re-valved and the springs changed for less than the cost of new forks? and the triple?

Sounds great, I really would like to experience riding without bottoming out so much. I wonder if the stock forks can be re-valved and the springs changed for less than the cost of new forks? and the triple?

Your 2003 forks are right up there with the RM, actually better iir. You can revalve/respring your forks if you want... The triple? I assume you mean triple clamps... the 96-98 forks don't require triple clamps, they'll work with stock clamps... Again, though. Your forks are the best it gets aside from some ohlins option. The only reason he installed RM forks is the 2001 and eralier forks are rubbish, and RM forks are usually cheaper than E/K/late S forks.