Sign in to follow this  

Cold start issues on my 2000 kTm LC4

Hello.

I'm kind of stuck in a bit of a dilema here. My bike when starting cold, likes to make a knocking sound when I first start it, and I have to rev it just a bit so it doesnt do this.til it warms up, like 2 minutes later. My dad believes its a timing issue, but I havent found any info on how I can change it. I've heard a few thoughts on the problem:

1) EPA bull****.(its running lean in general)

2) its a timing issue, or something.

I guess what im wanting to know whats (possibly) causing this and how (maybe) do I fix it?

Honestly its driving me batty having to go thru this starting procedure every time I ride it which is almost everyday that tis not raining. And I imagine that this knocking sound isnt doing the bike any good either. Its pretty much a new bike, I bought it 99% new last year in April, and I have just over 3700+ miles on it now.

Any input you guys have would be truely helpful,

Thanks!

Hello.

I'm kind of stuck in a bit of a dilema here. My bike when starting cold, likes to make a knocking sound when I first start it, and I have to rev it just a bit so it doesnt do this.til it warms up, like 2 minutes later. My dad believes its a timing issue, but I havent found any info on how I can change it. I've heard a few thoughts on the problem:

1) EPA bull****.(its running lean in general)

2) its a timing issue, or something.

I guess what im wanting to know whats (possibly) causing this and how (maybe) do I fix it?

Honestly its driving me batty having to go thru this starting procedure every time I ride it which is almost everyday that tis not raining. And I imagine that this knocking sound isnt doing the bike any good either. Its pretty much a new bike, I bought it 99% new last year in April, and I have just over 3700+ miles on it now.

Any input you guys have would be truely helpful,

Thanks!

Hi, my bike does the same and heard other people reporting the same. it supposed to be the autodecompressor ticking. shouldnt do any arm .

Let it check anyway from a mechanic. My mechanic told me is normal .

Cheers

really. wow, thats pretty strange! I'll have it looked at just in case though. thanks!