Taking CR 80 Suspension and installing on CRF 150?

Has anyone taken the suspension off of a CR 80 and installed it on a CRF 150? Here are some questions ?

- What year did the Honda CR 80 start coming with adjustable compression and rebound on the front and rear?

- Will the back shock bolt in, or do mods have to be made?

- Any major problems with triple clamps not having enough threads, and is the reg 80 forks the same as the big wheel 80 forks?

- Sould I look for a big wheel so that I can use the swing arm and possibly convert to a disc back brake as well?

- Or would I be better off buying a nice big wheel and installing my 150 motor in it?

Thanks in advance

- What year did the Honda CR 80 start coming with adjustable compression and rebound on the front and rear?

96-02, I believe

yes, no

- Any major problems with triple clamps not having enough threads, and are the reg 80 forks the same as the big wheel 80 forks?

no, yes

- Sould I look for a big wheel so that I can use the swing arm and possibly convert to a disc back brake as well?

I tried doing a small wheel conversion (swingarm) for mini-motard use and a 17 in wheel will not fit. The swing arm will fit on the bike, it just needs some modification with spacers, etc.

- Or would I be better off buying a nice big wheel and installing my 150 motor in it?

I don't know how easily the motor will fit in the CR80 chassis

sk8fasst,

Take a look. This might help answer a few things.

http://toneconsultant.tripod.com

As for the rear suspension, I've never done a cr80 shock. A few will argue, but I would think the proper way to make that thing work . . . or fit, would be to shorten the shaft, which obviously would be done by a suspension tech. The other obvious things would be heavier spring and revalving would help. fyi - the stock crf shock is about 15" ( I think. I can't remember) The cr80 shock is 15 3/4". I couldn't fit one in there easily. Hope that helps.

Has anyone taken the suspension off of a CR 80 and installed it on a CRF 150? Here are some questions ?

- Any major problems with triple clamps not having enough threads, and is the reg 80 forks the same as the big wheel 80 forks?

Thanks in advance

The most bang for your buck is...buy MINE! I will give you the scoop.

You need a 1997 or newer CR80 Expert.

Back shock needs to have the clevis modifiied: redrill the linkage bolt hole 3/16" higher and slightly grind the front of the clevis (half moon shape)to allow it to clear the lower linkage. The BBR lower linkage is also a big plus. It allows you to maximize the full use of the CR shock. If you don't use it, the rear tire will bottom out into the back of the fender/air filter. It also helps the handling by increasing the steering angle.

The front forks just bolt up fine. You can't get much tread on the top bolt over the tripple clamp but the forks help hold everything together jut fine.

You will need to beef up the springs and valving to your needs. I have 44's on front and a 6.2 on the rear. I weigh 195lb (on a good day)

I am moving to a BIG four stroke for now so my bike and or mods or for sale. ?

OK, I got the CR85 forks mounted up to my 150 and the stock cr spring rates are way too soft. No surprise there so I got a set of .44 springs.

So, what should I do about the compression and rebound valving? I picked up a set of Race Tech Compression and Rebound Gold Valves... does anyone have any shim stack recommendations?

Thanks

You might want to talk with Reger Engineering's. If you already have the stuff than its cheaper. He was saying his kit uses all brand new stuff. He is actually getting selling 04 85 forks for 300 for both of the forks from honda.

Check out this trick Honda CRF 150 with Reger Engineering's latest Suspension Kit and Triple Clamp with Riser Bar Mounts (Machined Finish)!

Reger Engineering Suspension Kits are sold complete with the following items:

- Reger Engineering Top Billet Triple Clamp and Bar Mounts of your choice - Lower Triple Clamp and Stem - Modified CR 85 Expert Front Forks with Guards - Reger Engineering Billet Brake Adaptor - Modified CR 85 Rear Shock - New Front Brake Line - Reger Engineering Billet Steering Stop - All Miscellaneous hardware for complete installation. - Nothing else is needed. Complete kit! - Price $1699.00

http://www.regerengineering.com/suspensionkits.html

Pretty good deal considering most the 85's that people are buying are in the $ 2000 - 2800 range. You can sell the motor usaully for 700 - 1200 on ebay.

Dave

I have the Reger kit and everything fits well. Reger however, does not do anything about the springs/valving, nor did they have any specific recommendations other than just ride it! I know its too softly sprung and valved, stock. I'm in no hurry to get it right and don't mind a little trial and error with shim stack setup.