Sign in to follow this  

Chain damage to frame...

Kind of a strange thing I noticed yesterday after loading my bike into the truck. I was on the kickstarter side looking at my rear shock and noticed that on the inside of the frame on the left side of the bike, the frame had some markss on it. Upon closer inspection I came to the conclusion that my chain seems to hit the frame. I always keep a close eye on how tight I keep it and cleean and wax it quite often. Anyone know if there is a company that makes a guard for the frame to prevent this? I'm gonna try and get a pic and post it up after I wash it today.

Dano

TJ: I figured it was the junk ass chain they put on them, and I just spoke to a buddy of mine and he said get rid of the chain. I sure hope that's all it is.

Dano

broke in my new 250 in the yard and the stock chain stretched about 2 inches in that time! Needless to say the first true ride on the bike it had a did x-ring on it!

Honda really needs to pull there head out there a$$ on this one and put a good chain on these bikes instead of the junk they send over in the crate! 😢

It's odd that they don't put a high quality on there, my 954 came with a D.I.D Gold on it, don't see why they can't do the same for dirt.

Dano

It's not really a factor of whether or not you use a sealed or regular chain. It is more a factor of how tight or loose your chain is. The manual calls for 25-35mm of play in the middle of the chain, which is tighter than most bikes. If you run it looser, it will get sloppy and hit the frame.

Most people think 25mm is way too tight to run a chain, but on the aluminum framed CR/CRF the chain stays about the same or even looser through the entire travel of the swingarm. Take your shock off and move the swingarm sometime and you will see.

It's not really a factor of whether or not you use a sealed or regular chain.

Next time you have 2 bikes side by side, one with an o or x-ring chain and the other w/o push on the chain side to side.

There is a lot of movement side to side on the non o-ring chain so it doesn't take much slack beyond 25mm to chew the frame. I run the slack on both my bikes at 3/4" but I measure at the tightest point of the chain because it will vary as you spin the wheel. Maybe it wouldn't be a concern if you only ride for 20-30 minutes at a time but when you ride or race off-road for 2-4 hours at a time that chain (non o-ring) will be loose.

The x-ring barely stretches after the first ride.

BTW, the chain is tightest on a stand because the lower roller pushes up on the chain.

Speaking of chain, I finally got my Primary Chain Kit three days ago grom Rocky Mountain (three months!). I just finished replacing the stock for the x-ring chain. I also noticed that the x-ring now has mor drag than the stock chain. It takes me more effort to rotate the tire compare to the stock chain.

BTW, I should have listened to Throttlejockey and get 116 links instead of the stock 114 links. Right now, the rear wheel is all the way closer to the front at the 1st marking.

man i noticed the sam thing when i was tightening the spokes on my back tire.does anyone have a guard or something that would prevent this?the marks look pretty bad.

Seriously...did you even read the post from the top down?

You're a newbee....if you can't even take a simple comment with no harm intended, get lost! Your're too weak to be on TT.

Just for that, and your feeling are hurt? geez! 😢 :cry: 😢