Sign in to follow this  

Gel vs Corbin

I'm looking for a seat for my (soon to be my) 2000 dr650. The gel seat is about $100 cheaper than the corbin. Is the gel seat any good?

Yater,

I bought a used gel seat on ebay...and it is about 500% better than the stock. It still has plenty of room for improvement however...and I might try to take the stock seat and get it gelled....but if you INSIST on a new seat, the gel one does much better....now hopefully someone that has a Corbin will pipe in.

Tom

I bought the gel seat also. I read where most people liked the corbin better but it would not look right with the stock tank. I wanted to keep the stock tank so I got the gel seat. The only thing that I noticed is that it seems slippery, my wife and I ride double up quite a bit and now she is sliding into me. Also if she slides too far forward I think the lowest part of the seat is harder then the stock seat. But when she is on the bike with me I can go flat footed on the bike, and I am 5'7". I like the seat, looks good and I like it with just me on it much softer, with both of us on it I am flat footed on it at stops.

I've got the IMS tank so that's not an issue. I've read that some of the drz guys find that the hard frame of the seat can be felt through the gel. Any truth to this? I weigh 145 lbs by the way.

I just found a used corbin for $200 shipped and went with that. I'll let you know how it works

I got Suzuki's gel seat. It's better for sure. I don't know if its much softer but its noticeably wider and I don't feel like I'm sitting on a 2X4 anymore. Two up comfort is much better than stock.

When I first put it on it did feel slippery but its better now. Don't Armorall it! I did and slid all over! Its funny now but I gassed it and almost flew off the back of the bike! 😢

It also did lower the seating a noticeable amount which added more bend to my legs. I didn't like that at first but am used to it now. The lower height makes trail riding easier when I have to dab a foot down. Finally I got this seat over the Corbin because I am to cheap to buy the corbin.

(The thought of dumping the bike and tearing an expensive seat is to much for me)

I have a strong hunch that the Corbin seat is more comfortable.

Yater if you decide on the Suzuki seat theres a company out of Pa. that sells new at a big discount. You should save about $40. Sometimes they post on E-bay. I'm at work now and don't have access to thier contact info but when I get home tommorow I'll post it for you.

Mike. 😢

Whoops I just read your post! Hope the Corbin works for you,it should though my street bike friends swear by them.

I'll still post the dealer info for anyone else who might want to go gel.

Mike.

THE GEL SEAT IS LOWER THAN STOCK. I BELIEVE ALMOST AN INCH. IT IS WAY BETTER THAN STOCK (BRICK) BUT NOT NEARLY WHAT I EXPECTED. I THINK IT IS ACTUALLY HARDER BUT THANK GOD IT IS AT LEAST A LITTLE WIDER...

Yater if you decide on the Suzuki seat theres a company out of Pa. that sells new at a big discount. You should save about $40. Sometimes they post on E-bay. I'm at work now and don't have access to thier contact info but when I get home tommorow I'll post it for you.

Sorry to those who waited for this info,I had misplaced the mailer. Anyway here is the address and number(and its out of Ohio not Pa.)

A&B XTREME SUZUKI

5310 N.GUERNSEY STREET

BELLAIRE OHIO 43906-9516

TEL.# 740-676-2900

Remember to haggle a little will them on the price they came down a bit for me. 😢

Mike.

Mike. 😢

I bought the gel seat, I commute to work 36 miles each way, sometimes for an hour. My ass can only take that much. It is still better than the stock seat, but if your street riding go for a wider seat, that is the problem, too thin.

I am going to get the stock seat redone wider to see if it helps.

Frank