Sign in to follow this  

CFC Case Savers Permatex vs. 3M

I used "Right Stuff" rubberized gasket maker for mine. WOrked fine. I've glued stuff together with it before, that stuff is GNARLY! Don't know about the other stuff. 😢

Anyone ever tried 3M adheshive rather than permatex?

Results please?

If it sticks well and is rated for fairly high temps it should be fine.

One thing to keep in mind is, i think one of the main benifets of the CFC's are that you have a hard outer layer (the covers) then a soft middle layer (the silicone adhesive) Not just hard glue. I believe this does a LOT to distribute the shock force and probably makes the cfc's 100 times better than what they would be if a hard glue was used.

I'm not saying the 3M is hard as they make about a billion different adhesives and i have no clue which one you're talking about.. 😢

Yes it works ! I used 3M super strength spray adhesive to mount mine and then put a fine bead of blue goo around the perimiter to seal out the water. I had to kind of bend the mag side though cause it did not fit so well but once i did it worked real nice! Use brake clean to prep the work surface and warm up the engine before application!They have been on there through a Colorado trip and many other abusive jogs and still stickin like glue! 😢

If yer talking about spray adhesive, dont. Your just asking to lose one of your CFCs.

I got the permatex that they rec. right down the street at the local Kragen Auto. Its like silicon, it fills all the gaps, makes things watertight and provides a shock cusion.

I thought the whole glue on thing seemed lame, but it really works well. No way these are coming off without a fight.. 😢

Not the spray glue, I was wondering about the double sided adhesive tape. The same stuff the ford and chevy uses to hold the body side moulding and name badges the the sides of the vehicles. I should have specified, sorry.

I don't think that stuff would stand up to the heat very well 😢 I got some left over 😢 if you can't find any where you are I'm sure 3 or 4 of us could send you what we have left 😢

Careful with the 3M spray adhesive. According to the can, their Super 77 spray glue lets go at 110 deg F. They do have a grade above that that is a bit stronger, but I wouldn't trust it much more.

The doulbe stick tape seems to be pretty stout. Even better may be the foamy tape stuff that is used to stick automotive trim on. That stuff seems to hold the window vent things on my truck pretty well.

I really would use silicone adhesive because it makes a much larger soft cussion than spray adhesive..

Yes it works ! I used 3M super strength spray adhesive to mount mine and then put a fine bead of blue goo around the perimiter to seal out the water. I had to kind of bend the mag side though cause it did not fit so well but once i did it worked real nice! Use brake clean to prep the work surface and warm up the engine before application!They have been on there through a Colorado trip and many other abusive jogs and still stickin like glue! 😢

I suggest you take anathema's advice. It makes a difference using a soft/flexible layer to adhere the guards. What's a couple of extra bucks?

Yes I agree, but I was wondering about the 3M double sided foam tape. It holds the f350 logo on my truck very well and it has some cushion to it. I guess that I shall be the guinea pig on this one.

Dude...how many times have you smacked your F-350 logo with a rock?

The point is if you're just trying to stick object A to object B then bubble gum will usually work. This loading case is somewhat different. You've got some good advice. If all you're concerned with is keeping the CFC covers stuck to your bike, then all will work. If you're trying to protect your bike, then I'd recommend following the advice that came with the CFC covers, and what anathema recommended. Your choice..oh yeah...nice avitar. That and squidward's latest crack me up 😢