Sign in to follow this  

Lifan motors

looking at buying a Lifan 50cc motor for my 15 year old.... he works on his 50 for hours, only to keep it running for 10 minutes...its old, wore out and ready to be junked...i thought maybe a new Lifan 50 motor would make a good christmas present...anybody have any experience with these motors?....

I tried buying one about a year ago. That totally jacked me around. But they did refund my money with no problem. But I ordered it, then two monts later. . . nothing. So I called them, they had no idea about it. So I had to find the origanal invoice and get the order number etc. Then after that and another month they said it will be six months or I would have to pay about $300 to get it put on the next shipment or get it out of customs or something like that. So I said forget it and they gave me my money back. Then, a friend of mine tried to do it after that and he was willing to pay the extra money for the customs deal and to this day, he hasn't got the motor.

Now, if you can get the motor from a distributor that already has them in this country you'll be much better off. I have seen then on ebay, so somebody must have them.

wow....thanx socal...i think i'll go a different route...i didn't realise they were out of country...ANYBODY ON HERE HAVE A STOCK XR50 MOTOR FOR SALE?

well whats the motor doing? you can get a 88 kit including head (basicaly a complete top end) from trail bikes for somewhere around 450...

The only thing the Lifan engine does is bolt up to the XR50 frame. Everything else has to be modified to fit. You have to change all the electrical connectors to match the XR wiring harness, and that is after you determine what wires are for what. They are not worth the grief to be messing with.

As someone else asked, what is so wrong with your Honda engine, that you can't rebuild it? There is a ton of stock XR50 parts listed on eBay daily, you can buy them for next to nothing. On average, there is always 8 to 10 pages of XR stuff ( stock and aftermarket) listed. All you need to do is get into eBay Motors and type in " XR50 " in the search box, and stand back.

When I first started researching LIFAN Honda clones in the 200CC range I got nothing. Try JinChing

I don't know anything about them but it seems like they have the stuff here in the US. You can also do a search on "Monkey Bikes" that will turn up many results. Try it on Google with "english only" on an advance search...Karl

PS There is even a "Super Charger" offered for the 50 that will break your bank but then How cool is that? 😢...Karl

thanx guys....i've never bought anything off e-bay, but i'll look into it...the 82' z50 was given to my son, but the motor was froze...he got it un-froze, and actually has rode it alittle, but its been a pain to keep running...i thought buying a lifan would just be a simple motor-swap...something he could do himself...i'm not sure i have enough knowledge in my little pea-brain to attempt an 88 kit...i haven't had much luck at motor work...i'll check ebay tho....thanks guys