Sign in to follow this  

Opinions on carbs - klx300

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice on a carb to get in the short term. Here is my current situation, my '05 klx 300 has all the free mods and I am going to get the top end redone in the next couple of weeks as soon as all the parts turn up from the states.

I also have a 35mm FCR on order from the states, however it probably won't get here until late December (why do I live in the bottom of the world), so I am looking for another cheaper pumper carb to use in the meantime with the new engine ...

The finished engine will consist of:

Big Bore header and muffler.

340 piston Kit

Ported Head.

Free Flow air filter.

Performance Cams.

I figure a Mikuni 36mm would be a fairly tried and true solution and they aren't too bad price wise.

How would a Mikuni 33mm work on a 340kit?

The other carb I have been eyeing up is the edelbrock carbs, however I see they don't list one for the KLX300 but they do list one for the DR350. I like it because it is different ... and the price isn't too bad.

Has anyone got any experience with these carbs?

Would the model for the DR350 be a suitable one??

Which ever path I take the carb will be removed as soon as my FCR arrives, unfortunately I have no eta on its arrival. Could be a week could be 3 months ... thus the need for a fill in solution. I could stick with the 34mm CV but I really want that punch of the pumper for a couple of big rides coming up here.

Thanks

Just put a Dynojet kit in the CVK for now and use the money you save to upgrade your suspension. Extra power is of no use if your bike can't handle it.

I haven't heard of anyone using the Edelbrock carb......not a good sign.

Ride on

Brewster

cheers ..........

I already have the dynojet kit in my CV carb .... the suspension has all been done as well .... the pipe, dynojet and racetech gear all went on pretty much as soon as I got it....

After riding my 300 through the snottiest, most nasty, rocky slick technical stuff I have ever done yesterday, I was praising the CVK carb all the way home. (with dynojet of course.) I couldn't imagine having to ride a big 450 through that kind of stuff. I'm re-thinking the CVK a bit. Maybe a 340 with CVK and 13T CS sproket is the perfect combo for me.....

I'd try the 340 with the dynojet before popping for an intermediate short term carb. You might like it. The 340 makes a huge difference.

I was actually discussing it with my engine builder today and we came to the conclusion that the 340 kit would probably give it that little more vacuum to get the Cv responding a touch better.

It is a double edged sword, nice to have the good manners of the CV in loose situations ..... however it would be nice to have that extra "punch" to get the front up in awkward situations when running in higher gears .....

It will be good to see the difference the 340 kit makes to the situation ....

I think it's at least worth trying the 340 with the CVK before ordering a carb. Have you cut coils off of the spring in the carb yet? Are you doing a thumper racing 340? My son has one of those and with the 14t, I can get the front end up pretty easy. With a 13t it would be super easy. You might want to check out the 13T unless you need the top end speed.