Sign in to follow this  

Little person, BIG bike...tips please

Hello

I plan on purchasing a RMZ250 or CRF250 coming from my CR85 big wheel. The only problem comes in when I factor in the size and weight of the bike. I've ridden an 05 YZ125 and found the weight to be no issue at all, lol, however with the four strokes, how heavy do you think they would feel to a 125 pound 5'3" rider?

Any tips on handling the bike through corners, jumping, etc, would be awesome

thanks

I'm 5'5/120 and have a KX250F. I have to tippy-toe it...but the weight is not bad...you just get used to it. As far as tips for cornering, etc...I am still learning so I can't help you there.

At 5',6" with a short inseam, sitting on my CRF450 can be difficult. I have researched the various options with their pros and cons:

1. Seat Carving: One of your best choices, provided you know what you are doing or have an upholsterer do it. You can knock a good amount down. The downside is that you may (or may not) have to adjust ergos in relation to the new sitting space, and if too much is taken off the seat, you could very well feel frame rails at the least convenient moments.

2. Suspension Revalve: I had my KTM 300EXC revalved for woods stuff, even though it worked great stock. It is now perfect for my height. The same can be done with MX bikes. They can lower the front and rear as well if you request, without giving up anything over large jumps. The down side is that your ground clearance will be less so if you ride on tracks with huge rutts, you could possibly have a clearance problem. If you go this route, make sure it is a reputable suspension tuner, as any hack can do just that to your suspension.

3. Rear suspension link the other "solutions": Some people have found success with changing the rear link, but this will offset the front suspension's geometry and will need to be compensated for--usually with solutions I find less than confidence inspiring. Accordingly, I will personally take a pass on these other solutions.

Good luck.

Assuming some sort of non-beginner skill set, I don't know that you'll have any problems while riding. You'll just need to get creative when starting and getting back on after a fall.

@ a buck 35, you ought to fly!

These are my personal experiences (5'5 140 lbs)

02 CRF450R

- Shaved seat

Results: Horrible handling because I was stuck in that area of the seat.

Solution:

- Restore stock seat

- Added 20mm offset

- Added Kouba Link rear linkage

- Raised forks all the way up

Results: Great handling on track.

04 CRF250R:

-Sent forks to Factory Connection for revavled and shorten forks 1.5 inches and softer springs.

-Softer shock spring

-Added Kouba Link

Results: Best handling bike I've owned! Even with shorter travel.....

04 KTM 125 SX.

- Everything stock just adust clickers....

Results:

- Handle almost as well as CRF250R.

-Although seat height is high....it starts too easy...so I can leave with it....

04 CRF450R

- I'm leaving this stock and just adjust clickers...because i'm not going to keep this for long since the other bikes are better....

- This bike has too much of everything....

too much power, too much weight, too much of a handful...., too scary....

i think im an inch higher then you and i probably have a good 5-10 lbs on you and i ride an rm125, you learn to cope with it, but id try getting softer springs. ive ridden an 02' yz250f and a 04' yz250f, it is definetly heavier but they're so easy to ride it shouldnt be a big deal. why dont u get a 125 instead? 😢 btw, are you on dirttrails forum? your name looks familiar..

hey, i have a cr125 and im 5'6'' and 130lbs. its getting better i started riding it when i was 5'4'' of 5'5'' then it was hard but it gets much better. you just have to get used to it. cornering - if u just start by riding through it slow until u get used to the big bikes size after that you can accualy start ripping the turns. when you do go for the easy lines because if u have a berm and try to take the ouside u cant reach the ground from the slant and you will fall right over... i kno from expirience. by the way im 15 if your only 5'3''. 😢

JS3324, if I were you I'd probably stay on your 85 a while longer. You're going to have to tip-toe and stopping and starting could be an issue. Starting the bike also is going to be precarious. You can ride one, sure, but it depends on where you're riding as to how much "footwork" on the ground you need to do. I'd bet money you're still faster on your 85 than on a bigger bike. Just my two cents. All the 85cc bikes are rockets. Your Honda Big Wheel 85 is a pretty decent ride. 😢

You could try cutting out some of the foam in the seat. My dad had that done to mine YZ 250f because i'm only 5'1.

He also had the suspension set as close to my weight as he could.

😢

I have a daughter that is riding a 02 yamaha 250F. I adjusted the "sag" of the shocks to fit her weight. This made the shocks softer and when she got on it her foot touches the ground now. Go to "Transworld.com" and look for the article about "sag"

Thanks for all the tips!

By the way for whoever asked, yes, I am on dirttrails also

I've been riding a friends 2005 YZ125 who is actually shorter then me ( he shaved the seat) and I'm actually faster on it. With the seat shaved it's perfect, and the YZ stock is taller then the CRF. So if i were to shave the seat on the CRF it would be even shorter then the shaved YZ

Simply put, I really like bikes that are easier to ride, I feel I can go faster. I can go decently fast on the 85, but the suspension and the bottom end power really limits what I can do.

The size of the 85 is almost a bit small. On the CRF I do not really struggle to keep it up, I have a feeling as long as i am not in the situation of a sudden "foot down" I should be fine.

I'd shave the seat and it would be absolutely perfect, but I am afraid i'd mess with the ergos that I love so much.

I think the bike will be great, but the weight might still be a problem

problems with bottom end power?? It's called the clutch, and learn how to corner! it'll make you even faster on a bike big, lol.

Tried it, bike has a very odd bog "bhaw bwah bwah" noise that was not solved with jetting. Probably needs a vforce cage, but its going to be sold soon.

I should have been expecting something like taht and been more specific

I stab at my clutch more times during a 5 hour day then you have your whole life. lol. 😢