Sign in to follow this  

Bike sat in garage for two months.. question.

My bike sat in my garage for two months with out starting; the battery was very low so I charged it. Now its is running poorly. Would only idle with the choke and once worm it surges in low throttle riding. The idle adjuster is not doing anything either.. Probably need a carb clean?

What should I do?

Thanks

Did you stabilze the fuel? If not, then you may need to dismount and clean the carb and inspect all for fuel gunk. I'd also check the sparkplug out.

What Slide said,

Also you might want to get a battery tender to take care of the battery. I had the battery in my Ducati die and was unable to be charged because of the lcd clock. Same thing will happen on my 2004 S. So when I put the bike away for the winter the battery tender is going on it.

I've always wondered why my timex lcd watch can run for three years on a batery the size of a dime but a clock on a bike runs a 5 lb lead acid battery down in less than a month:confused:

Cleaned pilot jet, all is good now.

I was supprised that it happens so soon, My XR's sit all year long and not a problem.

So is gas stabelizer the asnwer...

Thanks

I don't think you can shut off the fuel on an "s". ON PRI RES only. However, I did start draining the carb when I know the bike is going to sit for awhile.

-Mike

Stabil 😢 Mix with gas and run it a while to get the gas in the carb treated.

I guess you could unplug the petcock vacumm line to turnoff the petcock and run the carb dry.

Might not be a bad idea for longer term storage.

Cleaned pilot jet, all is good now.

I was supprised that it happens so soon, My XR's sit all year long and not a problem.

So is gas stabelizer the asnwer...

Thanks

That's surprising to me too that it clogged in just 2 months. I probably wouldn't have put any stablizer in my bike either for such a short time, but I guess I better after hearing that happened to you.