Sign in to follow this  

What did I do my Duke???

Hey guys, first time poster, short time reader here. Anyways, we have this 2000 Duke II that we have been abusing all summer long. We are a small roadrace shop in KC but we are getting bitten by this damn supermoto bug 😢

Well today I am out on a group ride with some buddies and we are just cruising down the highway and it just dies. I coast to the side of the road and it was idling then. I tried to take off but it died instantly. Now it will start and idle fine, but if you try to rev it, it dies when it hits 3k RPM's. Strange. I am expecting it to be an electrical issue the way it just dies the way it does. We have removed the kickstand a couple times for trackdays and have had a little issue with the switch there, but it was just in the wrong spot. Otherwise the bike is quite reliable, and I rode it for a couple hours last night hooliganizing around town. We thought maybe something came loose in the carb, but we took it out (not an easy task 😢) and everthing looks just fine. I have checked over all the electrical conections and it looks fine.

Anybody have any idea of what to check next??

-Spooner

I had a kick stand spring break while I was at a light and I didn't know it. It acted the exact same way. The bike will run with the stand down and in gear but it wont rev over something like 3k rpm. I bet your having issues with that switch.

Well I had a little problem with that, but it would rev out in neutral, but not in gear. Was yours able to rev in neutral too?? Thanks for any help guys-we are kinda stumped here..

-Spooner

I have experienced this in a couple of different ways. First check your battery connections. The vibes shook mine just loose enough to cause very miniscule shorts, causing a terrible ride. Then one day it won't start after running fine. I checked to find the cable loose at the battery terminal (2 occasions, once +, once -).

I also had the fuel tank vent tube pinch and cause the bike to stall. I used the wire cutters in the tool kit to cut the vent tube and vent directly to behind the triple clamp.

Let us know what you find.

Mike

😢

Well I had a little problem with that, but it would rev out in neutral, but not in gear. Was yours able to rev in neutral too?? Thanks for any help guys-we are kinda stumped here..

-Spooner

Yes thats exactly right. It'll rev in nuetral but if the switch thinks the kick stand is down. the ignition cuts out as soon as you rev the motor over over 2.5-3k rpm and the engine will die. I went out and played with it a little to make sure I wasn't steering you wrong.

😢

Mine won't rev even in neutral though, so that makes me thing its not the sidestand switch. Our mechanic just noticed the slide on the carb was sticking about halfway, so we cleaned it up and it works perfectly now. I still think its an electrical issue as it just cuts off imediately at 3k rpms, no flutter bogging sounds...

I really apreciate all the help guys! I will post when we figure it out.

-Spooner