Sign in to follow this  

2002 DRZ400S suspension

Well I took my DRZ in the dirt for the first time since I bought it last week, I noticed the suspension needs some serious work. What has everyone here done. Instead of revalving I would like to try springs in the front first and try some thicker oil. Any sugestions??

Good question! I like to know myself. Besides having someone else do the work, what is the hot setup I can do.

How about the rear shock also.

All I have done so far is bought Eibach springs for the front and rear and changed the fork oil to 7.5 wt. I ride 95% dirt and love it.

I weigh 185. I installed RaceTech .48 fork springs and gold valves at the same time, put in 5wt Silkolene Pro RSF oil and am VERY happy with the results. About $230 from the TT store for th springs and Gold valves. I've also got the gold valve for the shock and will be installing it when the weather gets too bad to ride for a day or 2.

No matter what you do it's not gonna compare to your CRF. BUT the DRZ is sprung pretty soft. Mine got fork and shock springs replaced to match my weight and worked much better after. Didn't do gold valves or heavier oil.

All I have done so far is bought Eibach springs for the front and rear and changed the fork oil to 7.5 wt. I ride 95% dirt and love it.

What size front springs??

Go to racetech.com. They have a spring rate calculator on the site you can use to figure out what spring you need based on your weight and type of riding.

I changed front and back springs, kept stock valves, put 5wt oil in forks, 10wt in shock and modified the shim stacks in the shock to create a slightly softer initial and firmed up the rest of the stroke(help from someone who knows what they're doin is essential). Made a world of difference. As previously mentioned, visit racetech for your spring rates.