One-piece vs. Two-piece hand guards

What is the scoop on these two types of bark busters? Is there a particular advancage(s) to the one-piece style? ? What do you use? I personally use a two-piece set up but I am seeing more of the one-piece deals.

Hmmmm... I don't know. I've only owned one kind... but from what I've read, they're supposed to be the best.

Handguards

Deflectors

Thanks for the links, now I know what I will get next. ?

That's not what I was talking about. That is the set up that I already have. What I am talking about are aluminum bark busters that instead of having an aluminum bar on each side, there is a single bar that goes completely across the handle bars, number plate and all. I'll try to find a pic of what I am talking about.

I personally don’t understand that approach. Seems like you would have to buy one big expensive part when you bend it and I would think mounting to different widths bars and bends would be a nightmare. Additionally a big mounting hole like the one for the inner mounts seems like it would make it really weak in the that area as the bar is the same diameter all the way across. I also like the drop down (like cycra) where your hand meets the guard on the outside of the bar so you don’t feel it and it is easier to slide your hand off. The only advantage I see is protection for your enduro computer etc. I have not ever seen this product in person or used it so these are just my observations looking at pictures.

You guys all have good points, and that is what I have been thinking. Still, Woods blaster sells a set up for over $100 ? and people still buy them (though I haven't seen more than a few) so there must be SOME good advantage to them. Beats me as to what though. ?

On tapered bars they are much sturdier because the clamps can't slide out towards the slimmer part of the bar. Once a traditional clamp slides a little (because of a fall) towards the slim part of the bar it's pretty useless.

I had tied both my clamps together by bolting an aluminum piece between them... this kept them locked in place and prevented them from sliding off of the fat part of the bar and thus losing clamping power.

On the last DS ride I did I wiped out in a very rocky section and the handguards didn't budge much... but the piece holding them together broke on me. The stuff on the market is much sturdier than what I jimmied... but much pricier too ?

Obviously the stiffer you make something the more it will hold up, but then the more likely it will break in a big fall (because it doesn't slide and takes the full force).

Excellent point there. I like your approach, keeping the guards locked in place is definately not worth $100+. I haven't had much problem with my moose flex bars/moose guards rotating, but then again they are made for each other. I have however bent my right guard severely in a crash, but the clamp movement seemed to be minimal.

Is it just me or do the one-piece deals look a little goofy? ?

I agree with Ride... Cycra pro bend's are the way to go. I love mine.

Cycra Pro Bend Handguards

The TT store has them ?

one point to be made about the cycras is I would not spend the money on them UNLESS you buy the triple clamp mounts. the bar mounts provided by cycra are a weak design in my experience with them. they allow the guard to flex and bend.

The TT store has them ?

one point to be made about the cycras is I would not spend the money on them UNLESS you buy the triple clamp mounts. the bar mounts provided by cycra are a weak design in my experience with them. they allow the guard to flex and bend.

Good point, I don't have any experience with the bar mounts but Bryan or Brian (I forget which) strongly suggested I get the tripple clamp mounts so thats what I got. ?

The TT store has them ?

Good point, I don't have any experience with the bar mounts but Bryan or Brian (I forget which) strongly suggested I get the tripple clamp mounts so thats what I got. ?

I have looked into those too. The only thing that has kept me from getting the tripple clamp mounts is the dang $.