Sign in to follow this  

Went to Durhamtown Plantation!!!!!

My personal opinions!!

Lodging: The H. Hilton was definitely rustic, but what are you there for, riding or admiring fine antiques? We all know what the 3 "S's" are, and you are covered!

Food: Friday night off the menu, little pricey, still good chow. Saturday night buffet, well worth the $!! Breakfast buffet, good solid chow to carry you through the day. Lunch, well, I heard they served it but I found myself rather busy..........

Trails: I did not hit all of them. Be sure to get the map at checkin. What I saw, I liked. Be careful of wet red clay,

through the miracle of my previously non-existent skills for riding on frozen gator snot, I never fell! There is something there for everyone, from a mud bog to tight technical single track.

Tracks: I rode the main MX track, the woods MX track, and the swamp MX track/trail. All were fun, I liked the main MX track the best. My feeble attempts at riding actually produced a new result, I ACTUALLY DOUBLED!! MANY TIMES!!! Quite new for me, and I'm rather happy about it! The Pee Wee

MX track looks really nice, forgiving yet challenging for the little ones.

Overall Impression: to quote Gen Douglas McArthur, I shall return!! Stay at least 2 days. The staff was 1st rate. I had an absolute blast! Even with preparing for the hare scramble race today, Mike and the crew had it going on! 😢

Robert 😢

Glad to hear you had a good time. 😢

I loved the SE TT trip, it was my first 'real' trail experience other than wide open sandy flatness in Northwest Florida. Never mx'd the drz, so had a bit of fun on the adult mx track... that is 'till I busted my a$$.. but even after, still fun. 😢 That blue trail to the left off the main road [i think? Whichever one DonO's wrists started giving out] was the best, IMO.. fast enough to stay entertained and tight enough to make you work. I did better than I figured I would.. I think I only fell a grand total of 20 times.. or thereabouts. 😢

Though it was the most beat up, exhausted 4-5 days of my life... I'll glady do it again.

I was there this weekend, too. The conditions were great... just wet enough to be tacky. We rode about 30 miles on Saturday (Blue, Green, and some of the Red trail) and did the race on Sunday. Very fun race. After the race I went out on the red trail with Lee Stephens (AA rider from Augusta) and he showed me why he was AA... so smooth and gone before you know it.

Maybe you can sweet-talk Mike into letting you ride the hare scramble trail.....I hear it is great. Its hard to go wrong at DP.

Time to plan a spring trip to Georgia.....

Robert 😢

I did see the pilots and your bike... Very clean looking XR. I rode through your group on the way to the washrack on Saturday while one of the pilots was sans rear wheel. I was there with a crowd from Orangeburg. If you came through the campground you couldn't miss us... big ass white Renegade Freightliner with trailer. Do you know George Wells amd Mark Gilmore? They help me out tremendously with anything I need to keep racing. I got George's son to come out for his first hare scramble and he finished 5th in the D class.

Yea, I know George and Mark, Honda of Orangeburg is a great shop, and they are good folks! Never made it to the campground, though I did want to check it out. Freightliner, eh? Now thats a hauler! One of these days we'll meet up, have a cold one! Did you see the video, posted in the Picture/Videos section?

Robert 😢

HEY I WAS THERE AS WELL!!!Had a blast as usual,it was kindda slick but thats ok too.We are going back this weekend too!great place for everything. 😢

ya it was slick in places, especially the western section with all the green trail. had to get out of the habit of dragging my front brake in corners after doing so led to my going down on an off-camber left. that fall beat me up a little but I had fun the rest of the day. David W took me and another guy on a tour of the grounds including the HS course from Sunday (which I liked most out of it all). I love my KLX650 but it's no woods bike. hah.

I think I saw you near the back mx track at least we saw a klx back there,we were in a group with 2-=yz450s a ttr125 a wr250 and a kx250. we had such a good time we are going back this weekend!