Sign in to follow this  

paddle tire suggestions

I've got a 6 paddle Sand Snake on my bike right now and I don't like it. The distance between the paddles is too much and it doesn't grab enough in the sand to get a good take off. I want to try to use an 8 paddle tire, but I'm not sure how well it will work.

The 6 paddle was made for a 125 and my 250R has a lot more power than any 125 so I don't think it would be a big deal. Anyone got an opinion? Anyone using an 8 paddle on their 250? How does it work? Any suggestions on which 8 paddle tire to use?

Thanks.

I work at Gilmore Offroad out in Glamis, CA. For that bike I would use the Sand Pro 110/90-19 8pd @ 12psi. This will work perfect for what you want.

Thanks. I'll check it out. I was looking at going with an 8 paddle Sand Snake. The cups on the 6 paddle are really shallow and if the 8 paddle is the same way, then it would work pretty well I would think. I'll check out the Sand Pro. Is Sand Pro the name of the tire or the brand?

Sand Pro is the name of the tire. The Brand is Cheng-Shin. I have never run the Sand Snake. I know it is a new tire on the market. Whatever you guys do don't use King's sand tire. We have had nothing but bad luck with these.

Why not a King's tire? I have two friends that have the King's tire on their 450's and they seem to like them. The only reason I didn't want to use one on my 250 is because the paddle is so deep and tall I wasn't sure if the little 250 would have enough power to turn the wheel efficiently.

As for Sand Snake, they are pretty good tires. The 6 paddle has shallow paddles and it seems the tire is made for harder/heavier sand. An 8 paddle just like the 6 would be perfect.

This all good feedback. Keep it coming. 😢

The reason i suggest not using a King's tire is the durablity. We just finshed another holiday weekend at Glamis where we changed about 65 motorcycle tires. Most of these are switching out a knobby for sand tire. I would say there were about 20 flat repairs. Out of those 20 4 tires had to be replaced. All 4 were King's tires with broken beads. This may not sound like alot, but we only worked on 6 King's Tires all weekend. To me the % isn't to good. This is about normal. I would hate to see you guys spend the money for a tire and go riding some place and break a bead. Most places, that would ruin a weekend.

I like that tire. It has short paddles. If I can get that in an eight paddle it might be perfect. I'm going to run down to one of the local shops tomorrow to see if they have it in stock. Thanks.

Cool, let me know how things turn out.

Glad I could help

I have a kings sand tire (110-100-16 8 paddle) that I’ve used about 6 times at Pismo and once at Dumont dunes. I originally used it on my 92 kdx 200 and haven't had any problems with it. All though the 8 paddles were just a tad much for the 200 I figure it will probably is fine for the 250x since the X has way more power then my kdx did.

Any ways I will be at Pismo again from the 11-14 and plan on running this tire again. I will post how it goes when I get back.

doug

I would be curious to see how that tire works on the 250. The paddles are really deep and I kinda thought it might be a little too much. Let us know.

Well, I made it back from Pismo with the X. the first day riding the sand was wet and heavy from the rain the night before and I could feel the bike working pretty hard. I really had to keep the rpms up much higher then I do climbing dirt hills. Granted the sand dunes at Pismo are not very big but the bike pretty much pulled up any thing out there.

The second day the sand dried up and the bike had a much better time at it. That king sand tire held up well but over all it might be a bit much for the bike. All though my jetting probably still needed to be a bit richer still. 5 th gear would bog the bike a bit. I think maybe installing that 13 tooth front gear would probably have help a bit also. Being able to use 3rd gear a bit more at lower speeds might be part of the answer I needed to find.

I rode the X pretty hard and maxed out the rpms much more then I do riding on dirt. Today I re checked my valve gap and it didn't move from before the trip. Both intakes are a loose .004 and the exhaust was both at .011. So that was good news for me.

Doug