Sign in to follow this  

First time playin in the sand box ( Pismo )

Just got home from Pismo Beach. It was my first time in the sand. What a blast! Too much fun!

The DRZ S did great even with stock gearing and 8 paddle tire. I kept up with my buds on MX bikes easy and had plenty of power to work with. (Even though I had to put the quiet core on) 😢

Lots of quads not too many bikes. 😢

The weather was prime yesterday too, overcast and a cool breeze. I even took it out a little in the dark. 😢

I was gonna check out the race yesterday but I took a lil snooze instead. 😢

Anyone else down there? I saw like 2 other DRZ400 I think. One yellow one blue.

Anyways took my dig camera but had so much fun I didn't even take any pics. 😢

🤣

Cool I bet you get your fill of sand then? 😢

Ya it was really last minute. My buddy asked me if I wanted to go same day we left. Got there in the morning after a 6 hour drive and just geared up and rode right there in the morning and off and on all day. It was tons o fun though. 😢

So what kind of maintenance should I do now that I am home? Is a complete tear down, cleaning and regreasing pretty much needed for the linkage, chain, sprokets, steering, wheels etc? ( Oil change and air filter of course I'll do but what about the rest? ).

Also I noticed the DRZ was more likely to wash out in the front than the other bikes. My tire is kinda worn but I am not sure if its the geomotry or the tire? Does a front sand tire help a lot in this aspect?

😢 :cry:

Believe it or not i don't know any locals that go to pismo! I've been there quite a few times though.

the trick is you wash your bike at the car wash on grand in grover beach. it just rained so the sand was nice and wet, that keeps the majority of sand off your bike. just a good washing and cleaning should be good. alot of people like to spray their bike with wd-40 before they go out, it's supposed to help with the rust and make it easier to clean.

you need to stiffen the front suspension / soften the rear when riding in the sand. that makes the bike turn better. the paddle tire really hooks up doesn't it! 😢

Ya I think my suspension is way too soft in the front so I will need to respring and valve it sometime. Thanks for the tips. The back is also set kinda stiff at the moment so I guess that is a big part of the steering issue. 😢

the paddle tire really hooks up doesn't it!

Yes the paddle hooks up way nice. 😢 None of the quads out there were even goin close to the speeds we could get the bikes goin. There were spots we were at least goin 70+ in the sand. It was great. 😢 :cry:

I also love how you can just crack the throttle on the tiniest bumps at almost any speed and the DRZ is pullin wheelies in the sand too. 😢

I went to superstition this weekend, and the sand was great. Most of my riding buddies don't like sand, but I think it's a lot of fun. I used a new kenda trakmaster, but I'm gonna try a paddle sometime this year. 😢