Sign in to follow this  

New to CRF450

I am riding an XR600 and I am going to buy a CRF450R soon. I know that there is more maintenance on the new 4 strokes, but what kind of things am I going to have to do to keep this bike in top shape as far as oil changes, valves etc. Thanks, Walt

Exactly what you just said 😢 Change the oil frequently and check the valves if the bike becomes harder to start 😢

I used to have an XR600 and loved it. I maintain the bikes about the same, but what used to be considered accessive maintenance is now considered routine. Clean and oil the air filter after every ride, change the oil (actually now it's "oils") every ride or two, keep the chain/spokes adjusted, chain, linkage, bearings lubed, ect...

The valves on the CRF actually stay in spec much longer than the XR, but are harder to adjust once they go out. I like the shim-under-bucket design of the CRF. Even though they stay in spec... you should still check the clearance frequently to avoid trouble. The valves and valve springs will not last nearly as long due to the hot cam/high revving nature of the beast.

More maintenance? Yes. As reliable? No. Worth it? Words cannot describe!

Actually, I am going to buy a 450x. I meant to type 450x not 450R. I am much more of an off-road rider than MX. The most MX riding I do is when I run a Hare Scramble and they include part of a MX track which I enjoy, but I try to stay somewhat close to the ground these days. I'm in the dozens of broken bones over the years and most on one bad wreck. I broke both legs, arms, wrists, ankles, my back, etc. You get the idea. I just avoid the BIG Air these days. Thanks for everyones help, Walt