Sign in to follow this  

yz250f does the year matter?

I've been thinking about getting a yz250f. A lot of people have told me to get the 2003 yz250f. does it really matter if I get the 2003 or is an older one just as good? I'd like to go cheap but I just wanted to know if there's really something special about the 2003 that the others don't have. any suggestions? thanks.

I'd say the biggest difference is the automatic decompression. You can start it quick!

If possible I would get an 03' or newer, because they are much lighter and have been refined compared to the previous years. That being said, I still have my 01' and you can still win races on the 01's - 02's, and for harescrambles I prefer the bigger stock tank on the early models.

Just buy what you can afford and check out the bike real well before you purchase, then go have fun.

yeah i gotta choice to trade my 01 race rdy in for a 03 stock because my motor is getting worn out. and the only downside of it is because the new bike will have to stay stock a while.

XR400PSG: I was wondering about any of the 250fs. I just bought a '01 yzf250 with '03 autocam. Really liking the ride & easy start. Previously rode '90 DR350 (4-stroke) & '90 WR250 (2-stroke & 13oz weight). YZF is the best of both worlds, although 2-stroke has more snap.

I have an 01 250F with an auto decomp and it is a sinch to start and really cranks! I dont know that for the novice to intermediate rider that there is much that you would gain from an 01 to an 03-05 other than overall youth. Face it, if you have the cash you cant trick out an 01 that will blow you away.

I love my 01 250F! 😢

I noticed that you live in SLO County too, food for thought; 2002/01 YZ250F are Green Sticker legal in California. All 2003 and newer YZ250Fs will be issued Red Stickers which means you'll have a limited riding season. PM if you have more questions about Green vs Red Stickers.