Sign in to follow this  

My first ride

As many of you know I'm just getting back into the sport. I've been out of it for 12 years. 😢 This Saturday I decide to break in my new 04' WR450. I call two of my friends and we decide to meet at 7:00 am and then hit the trails. I told them I just want to do fire roads to break in the bike and get the feel of the bike. I ride a Harley all the time so the feel is waaaaaaaaaay diffrent! 😢 Well we start off on fire roads and I'm having a good time. Learning to ride wheelies all over again. 1st gear wheelie no problem, 2nd gear wheelie no problem, 3rd gear wheelie.... Well lets just say I'm learning 🤣 We ended up on a single wide trail (How did the happen?) it was getting tighter and tighter. I was starting to sweat, goggles fogging up, arms pumping up. Crap this isn't any fire road I ever seen! Over logs, through streams, rocks, mud, more rocks, tight trees, another creek and then the next thing I saw was my bike on it's side and me rolling down into the creek! 😢 Bike stalled and I went to put my foot down and there was nothing there for me to put my foot down!!!! Down I went. Got back up, fired it up and off and going. Over another log, another creek and then the trail stopped by a river that I WASN'T going to cross! My friends decided they didn't want to cross it either.... But now I had to go back on that trail 😢 Off and going we went.... Next thing I see is my friend on his side and then a little later my other friend on his side. I was thinking to myself "Thank gawd I wasn't the only one" 😢 We got back up to the fire road and road up to a ski lodge that was open for lunch. We sat and ate and talked about the ride. I can't believe they did that to me on my first ride after 12 years! We left the lodge and decided to go back on a diffrent logging road. Well it was muddy, the kind of mud where the back end wanted to pass the front end. I made it down with out any problems but they went down twice! 🤣 Serves them right! We rode 60 miles on my first ride. I'm sore, I have muscles that I forgot I had, my arse hurts, but I'm ready to do it all over again!!! 🤣🤣

Theres nothing like jumping right into the deep end.

I bet you had a lot more fun than if you were just riding fire roads all day. 😢

😢 Top you are a man after my own heart, I don't know the meaning of the phrase "easing in to something". Sink or swim baby that's my moto, and I have the scars to prove it to. 😢 :cry:

I'm very happy with the WR450..... I'm just a little tired and worn out from it. I need lots more seat time before I do another ride like that. I would have done better if I had taller bars. I found myself wanting to stand but couldn't because I was hunched over. Any thoughts on that? The only thing I have done to the WR is the YZ throttle stop mod. I just ordered a GYT-R insert. I'm going to do one thing at a time and see what it does. 😢

Nothing like going for it first time out.... My buddies did the same thing to me...now 60 miles is just a warm up...

Yes, new bars will make a world of difference.

I got the Scott's triple clamp package, top clamp with a Scott's steering stabilizer and the highest bend pro-tapers (forget the name) I could find. I'm 5'9" and can now stand up and ride it like a snow machine. BAAAP! BAAAP!

FYI- The throttle stop mod will change the bike from night to day.

Nothing like going for it first time out.... My buddies did the same thing to me...now 60 miles is just a warm up...

Yes, new bars will make a world of difference.

I got the Scott's triple clamp package, top clamp with a Scott's steering stabilizer and the highest bend pro-tapers (forget the name) I could find. I'm 5'9" and can now stand up and ride it like a snow machine. BAAAP! BAAAP!

FYI- The throttle stop mod will change the bike from night to day.

I already did the YZ throttle stop, and yes it's night and day! Do you happend to have a link to your set up for your bars? Maybe a pic of your bike too? Thanks in advance! 😢

You'll probably find some sore muscles within the next couple days??, it's OK, the fun you'll have is well worth it!!. 😢.