Sign in to follow this  

Baja Designs

Looking to buy one of Baja Designs 8 inch race light kits.Looking to get the most lighting possible out of my CRF 450, any advice would be great. Going with a Elertrex stator and a heavier flywheel, not sure which flywheel weight is best? I'll be ice racing this winter so I have to get cracking and order up the rest of the nessary parts.

Thanks Q. 😢 :cry:

I installed a TralTexh stator as well as there flywheel and regulator rectifier. It was all plug and play. For best lighting you'll want to get the HID light. 😢

The T Tech fly wheel and stator are good Items. And yes the HID lights are great for Night Ice racing. And the flywheel weight depends on how much snap you like out of a bike...

Check your PM's I sent you some more Info..

Vert

The only thing I might worry about with your proposed setup is if the Electrex can supply the juice you need with the stock flywheel magnets. If I remember correctly the Electrex setup can output around 75W with stock flywheel. I believe the BD HID single lamp race kit needs around 100W. This is a problem if those are indeed the right numbers.

There is a solution though. I was told that the newest Trailtech flywheel with the fancy magnets will allow for about 25% more power output from existing lighting coils. This puts you right in the ballpark for success. I haven't tried this myself, I have dreamed it up for if I win the lottery one day.

If you go this route please report back with how well it works because I have been considering that exact setup for my bike.

PS the dude I bought my Electrex coils from tells me that the 25% more power won't be a problem for the stator, or the particular regulator I have.

The only thing I might worry about with your proposed setup is if the Electrex can supply the juice you need with the stock flywheel magnets. If I remember correctly the Electrex setup can output around 75W with stock flywheel. I believe the BD HID single lamp race kit needs around 100W. This is a problem if those are indeed the right numbers.

TrailTech told me that there stator and flywheel combo will put out 120watts. Which would be plentifull to run the HID. You might want to consider adding a battery in the setup.

There is a solution though. I was told that the newest Trailtech flywheel with the fancy magnets will allow for about 25% more power output from existing lighting coils. This puts you right in the ballpark for success. I haven't tried this myself, I have dreamed it up for if I win the lottery one day.

I think this "new flywheel" with "fancy" magnets is all a myth. TrailTech has not advertised any new flywheels on there site.

In short. I would recomend the TrailTech flywheel, Statror, and regulator rectifier. There tech support is first class and they stand behind there product 100%.

I've been happy with all three since I installed on my CRF. 😢

Hmm weird I can't even find any evidence that Trailtech makes or sells stators by looking at their website. Besides, that's not the point, the dude that posted is talking about Electrex stators. Another weird thing about what you said is that the product description for all the CRF flywheels on Trailtechs website clearly states 100W not 120W. As I already said before...the 100W that Trailtech clearly states would be suspect as a power supply for a 100W load. I don't think I would trust some salesguys over the phone testimony about power output of some system he hasn't tested since I know the systems will all vary somewhat stator to stator, bike to bike etc.

About the fancy magnet myth. It's true if memory serves me. Although not there now 😢 they used to have some blurb about rare earth black magnets or something replacing the old style magnets. You think I just made this up or something? Maybe I am remembering wrong or something but, who cares. Is that important?

In fact as I go back over this and realise that all my facts were straight and extremely reasonable, I have to ask myself and you: why you callin me out man? I stand behind what I said as my assertions are correct by the Trailtech website, and the magnet thing just aint important. After looking over your response to me I would point out that at least one of your assertions seems a little fishy. It seems that the best evidence of proof I have available to me, the website, is contradicting what you've said.

Relax dude have a beer. Don't get all bent out of shape this is an information board. To share information about products and research on products.

You are correct, the stators are not on there website. A tech from TT posted on this site that they where now selling stators TrailTech Stator I spoke to them and purchased my stator from them. Like I said before they stand behind there product and they have top notch tech support. That goes a long way in my book and definitely influenced my decision on where to purchase my stator.

Besides, that's not the point, the dude that posted is talking about Electrex stators.

Whether it is Electrex or TT we are comparing apples with apples. As a consumer I would definitely be interested in knowing and hearing about other riders experiences with the product I am interested in as well as other available products. But hey, maybe that's just me.

Another weird thing about what you said is that the product description for all the CRF flywheels on Trailtechs website clearly states 100W not 120W. As I already said before...the 100W that Trailtech clearly states would be suspect as a power supply for a 100W load.

Yeah, your correct the website does state 100w on there flywheels. I am not an electrical engineer but from what I understand the output of the bike also depends on the way the stator is wound. For example: The CRF 450 stator has 8 poles and all 8 are dedicated to ignition. Aftermarket manufacturers will vary, some use 5 poles for lighting and three for ignition. Other will use 2 for ignition and 6 for lighting. The more poles used for lighting the higher the output of the stator. Anyhow, if you read the following post TRailTech 120watt stator about half way down you will see a member by the name of TrailTech. In his post he states that there TrialTechs setup put's out 120watts on HID lighting on a CRF. He can be reached at Geoff@trailtech.net

I don't think I would trust some sales guys over the phone testimony about power output of some system he hasn't tested since I know the systems will all vary somewhat stator to stator, bike to bike etc.

I'm with you. I would not trust just anyone either. If it where not for all the post about how great TrailTechs support is and how they stand behind there products 100% I would probably would have bought an Electrex. Big props to Thumper Talk and it's members for exposing me to other manufacturers and products out there so that I may make an informative decision on what to buy for my CRF.

About the fancy magnet myth. It's true if memory serves me. Although not there now 😢 they used to have some blurb about rare earth black magnets or something replacing the old style magnets. You think I just made this up or something? Maybe I am remembering wrong or something but, who cares. Is that important?

The only reason I say this is because there was a lot of TALK about it. No one ever said they had purchased one or saw one or owned one. When I called to purchase my setup I asked and they told me there was no such thing.

In fact as I go back over this and realize that all my facts were straight and extremely reasonable, I have to ask myself and you: why you callin me out man? I stand behind what I said as my assertions are correct by the Trailtech website, and the magnet thing just aint important. After looking over your response to me I would point out that at least one of your assertions seems a little fishy. It seems that the best evidence of proof I have available to me, the website, is contradicting what you've said.

Like I said above. Relax and have a beer. No where in my post did I ever say that your information was false.

mmm beer. good plan. 😢

Whether it is Electrex or TT we are comparing apples with apples.

This is where you are wrong. Of course you are correct that varying the number of poles will affect power output, that is not the whole story. # of poles aside for a moment, the configuration of the poles will most certainly have an affect on the power output a certain configuration is capable of. Without going into alot of technical details I will just say that coil density (wire gage, # of turns, etc.) is directly proportional to the quantity of power output possible. Electrex, TT and all the others will have varying designs, and manufacturing processes which will result in different output from different stator coil styles given same bike same flywheel etc. If you want more details I can oblige, but I think I have made my point already.

Note how in the thread you gave, the person called TrailTech said "up to 120W". I think the way this statement is made is key. A good engineer will always design in enough overhead so that the worst example of his production sample will still meet spec. I would be willing to bet that while 120W may be typical, I am also betting they wouldn't guarantee those numbers, ie you could get one only capable of 100W. But hey it's a guess. Interesting point BTW but I don't think I would bank on that statement unless there were more of a guarantee.

I still swear I saw that stupid magnet thing on their site but hey maybe I've had a few too many beers in my time.

I have a trailtech flywheel (black magnet, the standard magnet color was grey) and stator. I had problems with the Ricky stator setup and TrailTech helped me out 😢 I purchased just the stator from Ricky stator for lights and did not get their flywheel since Ricky only offered the stock flywheel weight and I already had the Trailtech +13oz flywheel. I had major problems with the Ricky stator ignition cutting out at 1/4 throttle. It only seemed to happen when the bike warmed up. I complained to Ricky stator and they told me that their stators would only work with their flywheels since they had more powerful magnets than the Trailtech that I had. I contacted TrailTech and they said they had a more powerful magnet (not available to the public yet, due to not fully testing it) and would be willing to let me try it out. Between the time I got the new Trailtech flywheel, Ricky stator called me up offering to buy the stator back and refund all my money including shipping. I sent it back ASAP and got my refund 😢 My next problem was that I didn't have a stator for lights now, so I called Trailtech and asked them where I should send it for a rewind. They said send it to us! I have had this setup on my bike for about a year with NO problems. It will run 100 watts no problem, but I have not tried anything with higher wattage. The problem with the CRF stator is it is limited with only eight poles. In stock form all eight poles are used for ignition, so using some of the poles for lights takes away from the ignition (which can cause the ignition to cut out if not done properly). There is a lot of factors when rewinding a stator, how many poles are available for lighting, what gauge wire, how many winds on each pole, what kind of insulation on the wires, what kind of epoxy to use, how powerful are the magnets on the flywheel (the more powerful the magnets, the less amount of poles and or windings are required to some extent). Also these CRFs run hot, and heat is hard on the stator's epoxy and wire insulation. I would suggest Trailtech (Baja designs seem to be good too). Don't forget that the electrex unit does not come with the stator pickup! You will have to cut your stock stator and splice it in. FYI 😢

The Black Magnet exist!!!!!!!!!! 😢

I don't see what Baja Designs can do any different from other manufacturers to gain 100watts or more on there CRF re-winds.

When I spoke to Geoff at TrailTech he mentioned that they test there stators and have a test lab set up to varify the integrity of the stator. I would imagine if you told them you needed to run a HID race light they would hook you up with a stator with enough output.

The price was cheaper than the electrex and they are good at standing behind there product.

Hope this hepls xclratn 😢 :cry:

😢

an Hid light takes about 3 amps to run(36 watts in a 12v system)...the good thing about an HID is that its either on or off...it doesnt dim like halogens depeding on how much gas you are giving it.

Hey Kritter,

Where do you see a 36W HID system man? I would be interested in something like that. The race lights on the BD site are speced at 100W on the site.

Thanks, later.