Sign in to follow this  

Race-Tech Gold valves

Has anyone installed them on there 400S suspension?? If so was it easy and strait foward...or a pain in the A$$??

Yes, I've done three sets now,, your 2002 S, has the same suspension as an E,, just so ya know..

Easy 😢 :cry: 😢 :cry: 😢 Well it was for me?? But I have no idea how that works out for your easy/hard scale.

Have to have a clean area to work in.. Be willing to grind off the end of the OEM valve shaft. Have a torque wrench for in lb settings, basic hand tools,, and IMHO air tools are a must if ya want to get the fork apart.

The shock is about the same,, but maybe a little more involved.. plus you'll need a drill press (can be done with a hand drill,,, but not well) again be willing to grind off the end of a shock shaft, air compressor needed, plus have a way to have the bladder recharged after it's all said and done (most shops will do it for $10 or less)

bronco covered most of the details. the only thing i have to add is that you can do it if you are the type that pays very close attention to details. double and triple checking your work is the key to not messing up when doing suspension work. it will take you 6-8 hours to do the forks, but they are great when you are done. 😢

bronco covered most of the details. the only thing i have to add is that you can do it if you are the type that pays very close attention to details. double and triple checking your work is the key to not messing up when doing suspension work. it will take you 6-8 hours to do the forks, but they are great when you are done. 😢

Well Bronco78 did not really say everything he wanted to.. I just covered the install.

A more complete answer is.. I really am not impressed with the RT system. My suspension is set up exactly as outlined for my weight, riding style and type. It is not a great setup... Not happy at all. I've ruled out damaged parts, installation issues, and setup.. Plain and simple the valving is way to soft. Great if ya like a pillow ride, and make no attempt to get either tire off the ground. But other than that,, the shim stack as speced gives very little dampening... on the rear, and only moderate on the front. Yes it can be corrected,, and I will as soon as I get some shims on hand..... but just be aware... the specs you ask for and receive,, are as likely to be wrong, as right.