Sign in to follow this  

----- rebound question -----for offroad ------

I wanted to know for off road vs MX :

do you want more rebound for MX than offroad ?

or vise versa ?

depends if you are talking about desert racing or woods riding. less for woods and more for desert. 😢

Indy_WR450

You reply with "Less rebound" for offraod... does that mean more/greater rebound damping ?? These terms drive me nuts sometimes 😢

Because speeds tend to be lower in the trees versus in the desert, rebound can be quicker w/o losing control.

I think you can say: more speed, slower rebound;less speed,faster rebound.

D. Rudder said , with the correct springs a rider should aim for as little compression damping as possible with enough rebound to control the wheel. He said this will give the most plush ride.

Off road you want to run the most rebound possible (slowest) without the suspension packing. You want to run the compression as soft as possible without blowing through the entire travel and bottoming out. How you ride, your weight, and where you ride will determine the settings for you.

Packing happens on multiple bumps where you've hit a bump and the suspension has not returned to it's normal position before hitting the next bump and is still partially compressed. Eventually you run out of suspension because each consecutive bump "packs" the suspension higher in it's travel. I've also heard it refered to as "ratcheting". On the trail when the suspension packs you'll feel the bike go from a smooth ride to very harsh and uncontrollable.

In opposition to the 'desert' settings given above, I have lighter fork springs in my '04 CRF450, 35mm lower fork oil height, and have my compression at 6 clicks out from zero (-), the softest setting and rebound at 3 out from zero(-), meaning no rebound control-->fast. In rocks you need the rebound to act quickly, any packing causes deflection. You want the fork to soak up the impact and quickly soak up the next. If you can see the rock garden and slow vs. fast reacting forks with soft compression you can think through what I am saying. Now, in the rear, I gauge those setting by whoops where packing can be a major issue. This advice may sound strange, but works for me. I want a bike that doesn't bottom (but close), and doesnt' beat me up in the rocks and whoops.

You really need to experiment. Take a couple of nasty sections and ride them back and forth using different settings. I add or drop 3 clicks at a time. Over time you will get the feel for which way you need to go. Also be sure to bleed the air from your forks.

p.s. I also have a one step lighter rear spring.