Sign in to follow this  

WATTS the answer

After getting caught in the snow on a trail ride yesturday I am going to get serious about putting on the heated grips that I have had for over a year.

I was maybe even thinkin a heated vest rather than bulk up with restrictive clothing. Your not allways jumping around creating heat ya know.

The book calls out

150 watts for the kicker

200 watts for the E

I don't have the specs on the S ?????????

can anyone help out on that.

I got to check on a vest but does anyone know what it would be and if it would work?

I guess the other thought is how hard will this be on the electrical and battery?

I use a battery tender when not ridding but I don't want to overload things cause they are a pain to get at and expensive.

I am also assuming that there are no brushes to wear out and also presume that it would be best to make all tapps directly off the battery and fuse it there.

Correct?

Conversly I thought the S charging system might be bigger for turn signals and all that.

What is the S headlight size? The E is 55 watt. I will prolly switch that so it ain't drawing although I like it on even when trail ridding cause it gives a nano second of warning to someone comming head on. Ya know. A lot less traffic in the winter months.

Later

Greg

I use hand warmers and a vest and it hasn't been a problem yet.

When off roading at lower revs, you get warm enough so you don't need them.

On the pavement, the bike is revving higher, so the output is enough to keep everything working fine.

(I would guess:smirk:)

The S has the same stator/generator as the E. It is rated to put out 200 watts at 5000 rpm.

I don't have the specs on the S ---- 200 watts

I got to check on a vest but does anyone know what it would be and if it would work?--- They vary. Around 40 watts.

I guess the other thought is how hard will this be on the electrical and battery? --- If you use more power than you make, the battey will make up the difference until it goes dead. The alternator puts out max all the time anyway so no difference there. The regulator does not control alternator output like a car. It controls if the power generated is used or wasted. You can overload wires and connectors if you add loads so direct from the battery is good

I am also assuming that there are no brushes to wear out -- correct.

and also presume that it would be best to make all tapps directly off the battery and fuse it there.-- Yes.

Conversly I thought the S charging system might be bigger for turn signals and all that.---No.

What is the S headlight size? -- 55/60.

175W on DRZ-S-04,I use headlight 100 W + 15W+20W Heat grips

without any problems 😢

See picture,nice headlight on my DRZ-04

web page

Nice job mounting the light 😢 You must ride a night a lot?

In Nov,Dec,Janary we only have dayligt four hours 😢

(North of Sweden)

And need relly bad a big lamp in dark forrest 😢

See a lot of cool winter riding film web page

In Nov,Dec,Janary we only have dayligt four hours 😢

(North of Sweden)

My father-in-law lives at N67deg26min and there is no daylight at all in xmas time.