Sign in to follow this  

Stupid Newbie Q's

I just bought an '02 S w/ 400 miles on it and I just had a few dumb questions. The guy I bought it from was the 2nd owner and said that the original owner had taken the snorkel off and also that he changed the sprocket by 1 tooth. Not sure if he did anything to the jetting or not.

Q's:

How can I tell what sprocket is on it now?

How can I tell if it has been "rejetted" (or whatever you guys talk about)?

It is plenty quick for me as is, but would just like to know what is "under the seat" so I can talk about it without looking too much like an idiot.

Also on the street (have not gotten it off-road yet 😢) I have noticed a lot of front end dive when I use the front brake even a little. Do you think tightening the front compression a couple clicks is the answer? Or should I leave it alone until I am able to get it off-road to see how it does there?

Last, any words of wisdom of common problems to watch out for? Any "must-do" regular maintenance beyond oil changes that I need to know about?

Sorry for the dumb questions. Any info is appreciated.

Q's:

How can I tell what sprocket is on it now? -- Take the plastic guard off and count the teeth. Stock is 15. You probably have 14.

How can I tell if it has been "rejetted" (or whatever you guys talk about)? -- Take the carb off. Take the jets and slide needle out and read the markings. Small jet 22.5 is stock. Main jet 42 is stock. If the needle has no option to reset a clip it is stock. Adjustable needle is a replacement. Check under the carb near the front. If you see an adjustment screw, the 'seal' has been removed to expose the low speed fuel adjustment screw. If you do not see the screw, reply for a procedure to get the seal off.

Also on the street (have not gotten it off-road yet ) I have noticed a lot of front end dive when I use the front brake even a little. Do you think tightening the front compression a couple clicks is the answer? Or should I leave it alone until I am able to get it off-road to see how it does there?-- Leave it for now. What is your experience with street bikes? DRZ has 11 inches of travel so it is going to dive compared to a street bike with 6 or less inches.

Last, any words of wisdom of common problems to watch out for? Any "must-do" regular maintenance beyond oil changes that I need to know about?---Check the nut on the engine sprocket (countershaft sprocket) for tightness. Needs to be 50 to 80 ft lb. Many like to upgrade the automatic cam chain tensioner to a manual one for improved reliability. More important to do 00, 01, and 02 years. Don't loose the "O" ring behind the oil filter when you change it. Service all the suspension joints (grease) and steering head as soon as possible. Check spokes. Change brake fluid. Usual stuff.

Sorry for the dumb questions. Any info is appreciated.

Post Extras:      

Thanks for the info Noble. I don't have any experience w/ street bikes and this is my 1st Dual Sport since I had an XT350 in the mid 80's. The suspension is probably normal, so I will see how it goes and maybe tighten down the road.

In regard to the suspension and steering greasing asap...is that something that needs to be done regularly? Is there any info online that would walk me through that and some of the other stuff, or do I need a shop manual or something? I hate to sound stupid, but I really don't know much about this stuff.

If it's only got 400 miles on it, sounds like the stock Trail 'Death' wings are still on it also. If you plan on riding in the dirt, get some better tires (D606, Kenda760, etc) Welcome to the Forum 😢 :cry:

Actually I forgot to mention that the 1st owner put Pirelli MT21's on it as well. Which leads me to yet another question...is it dumb to be riding these mostly on the street for right now? They look pretty aggressive and I'm thinking they are going to wear pretty fast on the pavement. I also have the stock ones and was considering putting them back on until I start getting it off road early next year (to save the MT21's), but am thinking not after what I have read around here.

I personally do not like MT21's any place but they will last OK. I put 2000 miles on a set on and off road. The bearings get very little grease at the factory so it is important to do them right away. Get a manual. Not hard and there are instructions here all the time but the manual is an essential tool if you are going to do anything on the bike yourself. After it is done once you can develop your own maintenance schedule. Once a year or so depending on your riding conditions.