Sign in to follow this  

Heated Grips On The CRF250X?

Now that it's getting cold here in the northeast anyone install heated grips on their CRF250X? I'm talking about the Kimpex heated element type that adhere's to the bar under your stock grips. Where did you source the power from? Can the charging system handle it? Does it dim your headlight when on? Where did you mount the switch? Pics would be helpful.

I mounted some from Dual Star. I used the headlight as the power source, as I didn't want to have a draw unless the engine was running. I also added another switch so I can turn off the headlight when using them ot reduce the load on the stator. Yes the headlight is dimmer when using the grips.

The grip heaters draw around 35 watts. About all that the X puts out. Definately turn the headlight off.

I had them on my YZ400 and they worked great.. Untill the rh heater broke the wires off from the constant twisting of the throttle. I had the wires double looped thru the grip flange o use as a strain releif and they still broke off. I have no solution for that.

Another thing that you must do is to insulate the lh bar from the heater. The aluminum bar acts as a heat sink and draws all the heat away from your hand. wrap some black tape around the bar before you install he heater. That or a piece of heat shrink tube on the bar. That will keep the bar from taking all the heat.

When working they are really nice. Mine just didn't last long. Turns out that good gloves was the ticket. Who knew 😢

I've got a bit of experience with the heated elements.

Definitely go with the dual stars! I too had repeated problems with the Kimpex wires coming loose on several occasions with different bikes. After 15K miles and two years of use on my FJR1300, the dual stars have been flawless. Plus they are more efficient on low heat due to separate low and high coils, versus a resister (which get hot and are difficult to find a good mounting spot) on the Kimpex style. Or you can just wire both hi and low together for mega heat (I did this on the street bike, but use a thermostat switch as well).

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit1.htm

Where is the best place to mount the ground wires? The supplied o ground terminals look fairly small. Too small to use an existing 8 MM bolt.