Sign in to follow this  

raped ape

I asked an experienced husky rider who knows me and my riding habits/abilitys and interest, what his thoughts were about me getting the 05 TE-510 next year. His comments are below: 😢

"I hear good things about the new Husky's. A friend rode one (450 I think) in Brazil for the ISDE; he was running support for the US team. Said its a dream machine. I like my '93 WXE610 a lot so long as the trails are not too switch back'd. The euro bikes don't have the tightest steering radius in town. If you are getting new, or nearly new, E-starting is the only way to go. European parts are expensive and long lead, but once you get the idea of how it goes, you manage and drive on. The price of performance. I can dust just about anything on the trail if it's open enough to un-cork, including the new KTM's and Honda 650's, so power is not a problem. I went over the summit of highway 88 with knobbies and 16# of air, passed a Winnebago on a shallow corner, my enduro computer read 92 mph. Going up hill with throttle to spare. Don't sweat the power on those things.

Suspension is really plush once dialed in; the euro's have a different idea of who rides them; the Italians are small framed people, so they have little experience with people your size. Try a bike on with your boots to make sure your feet can fit the controls before you plunk down the really big bucks. Or get a second hand KTM 525 which is a dream machine in it's own right and have a little better parts line and support.

The Husky's make their weight because everything is alloy. The only steel in mine is the chromoly main frame. Everything else is magnesium or aluminum. The older bikes have no oil filter, a reed valve lubrication system (no pump) hold only one liter of oil, and no engine counter balancer. Mid to high rpms are buzzy. I don't know what the new bikes have, but expect a lot of maintenance like any high strung race machine. If you have time and tools to tickle, it'll be as reliable as anything else on the trail and run like a raped ape."

Hey Bob, my bike has an oil filter (Scotts SS)and I have had no problems getting parts in a timely manner fom MOTOXOTICA, fr what I have read in other posts, the 510 has more low in grunt then the 450 but I have had no problems going up hills including some long, soft, dusty, rocky hills at Moonrcks, NV 😢 Oops I forgot that is a bad word to you 😢 Get your new bike before feb 18-19-20 and come ide Moonrocks with us. If no 😢

Kraig

I went and saw Dan today at motoxotica. Cool guy and nice shop. I can't buy my second bike till next fall. I want that Big bad wolf Husky TE-510 😢 I guess it will be an 06 model. 😢

I'm just doing the wet dream thing now, but next year I want to ready to buy the right bike and the huskys are in my sights!