Sign in to follow this  

Woohoo, my first trophy!!!

Karl & I decided to run the local Tag Team Scarescramble this year because one of our friends talked the promoter into adding a Jack & Jill Class.

We were the only team in the class but, we WON!

6.5 mile course, 3 hours to run it a bit muddy on the MX track section, a bit sandy across the pitrow section and some rocky sections tossed in for fun. I'm not sure how many participants were there but there were some seriously fast riders, including my cousin Joey Kopp (Flattracker and an all around awesome rider) and of my cousin-in-laws Jon Seehorn (2 time ISDE Gold Medalist) were there (from all the fast people in my family you'd think some of their talent would have gone to me but I think it skipped me & went to my kids). I definitely got woohood many times as the fast guys (my son included) warned me they were coming by.

There were 4 or so quads - really scary to pass and at least 2 other women, both in the Women's Open Ironman class. One was a little girl on an XR100 and the other a woman on a CRF230. They started the Jack & Jill class on the last row with the Women's Class. Karl always makes me start!

I got a great start with my bike firing in one kick. According to my daughter, I was down the track & making the first turn (75 yards or so) before the other gals got their bikes fired up.

It was fun, rocky, bumpy, I hate jumps, I hate passing quads but I felt good. No crashes, no stalls and my son only passed me 3 or 4 times, roosting me as he flew.

I got him back at the pits though by kicking sand at him!

The bike felt awesome and I even hit WFO in 5th on a couple sections. Karl had some fun with Joey on a section of flat straights that switched back & fourth 4 or 5 times. Joey was laughing when he figured out who it was. He said he's used to people wicking it on when he comes up on them but he couldn't believe this guy just opened it up as soon as he got near him. He kept thinking "come on buddy, there's a corner, come on, just let up." Karl finally let up just before the corner and Joey was relieved because they would not have both made it through the corner.

So, I finally earned my first trophy to set next to the boatloads my kids have earned. Next time I'm gonna pass my son and roost him!

We got in 11 laps, my son on his 80 with his partner on a YZ250f made 12 laps (4th place in the lightweight division winner of that one put in 14 laps my son's partner's dad & his buddy), the pros turned in like 16 - 18 laps. Jon Seehorn (ISDE 125 medalist) ran Pro Ironman with 16 laps on his own.

It was a fun but tiring day!

😢 :thumbsup:Double thumbs up for the new trophy! Keep it up and your family will be needing a trophy room.

"We were the only team in the class but, we WON!"

In my book a win is a win, now you two go get a hotel room and celebrate 😢 :cry:.

Don 😢

That's awesome, congrats!

I missed the race this year; usually I always go unless I'm recovering from surgery, which generally happens about the time that race is. Would have been fun to race it again.

Rock on bbbom!!🤣😢 :cry: Congrats on your first trophy!! 😢 :cry: Feels great doesn't it! 😢 I was jumping up and down on my first trophy coming back to racing...

I had about 30 or so when I was young.. But I lost all of them in a move..

Kristi

Actually, Karl decided he wanted to be Jill so I had to be Jack!!! 😢

Thanks guys! Best part is I think it stirred up some women that were on the fence. Jon Seehorn's wife said she wanted to do it next year, guess she rides a 125 so we'll actually have some competition.

I forgot to mention that my daughter took 3rd in the Peewee Harescramble just before our race. She would have come in 2nd but one of the flaggers messed up trying to warn her about a crash around the corner and she thought he was waving her off the track. Since she was happy to be done she headed to the truck. By the time we made it back to the truck she had removed almost all of her gear, I told her to get dressed cause she wasn't done. She threw it all back on and hauled her little butt back over to the course. They were just calling it over but the other parents told the crew to let her ride one more loop cause the flagger screwed up. So, she got 3rd out of 4th and was happy to be done.

This morning she said she wants to race the big course next spring. So looks like the kids will team up and either race the 80cc class (she'll still be on her 60) or maybe Jack & Jill against us!

Great, now I'll get roosted by both of my kids! 😢

Way to go 😢 sounds like you all had a great day, that is what it's all about.

It sounds like everyone had a blast! Can you tell me more about this "Jack and Jill" race? I would like to see something like that ran here in Minnesota. We have alot of fast girls/women here that would make this kind of race WAY fun! 😢

Hey treebasher, it was a 3 hour tag team harescramble and they ran all the different classes at the same time on the same course. It would have been really boring if they didn't run everyone together. It's fun to have a good mix of skill levels so you can pass a few people, get passed by many people (for me at least). Since it is 6.5 miles long, you get pretty spread out so it's still as safe as a race can be with different skill levels. The pro's are good about passing without killing anyone and the slower riders are pretty good about holding their lines when you woohoo them (something I learned from the guys that pass me).

You sign up for whatever class you fit into: 60cc, 80cc, Lightweight (249cc and under), Heavyweight (250cc and up), Vet Class (Combined age over 70), Geritol Class (combined age over 80), Adult & Child class, Women's Open, Jack & Jill, Pro and even Quads.

You can either Tag Team, trading the arm band off each lap or how ever many laps you want to split with your partner or you can Ironman it and run the full 3 hours on your own.

The loop is about 6.5 miles long and they have 4 checkpoints you have to stop at on each loop. We did 11 3/4 laps, Karl just missed getting to the last checkpoint in time for the lap to count.

This was the first time they had the Jack & Jill Class and it was due to a friend that noticed we opted not to race at the Spring Mudfling. We usually run the Heavyweight or Geritol Class but it wasn't muddy so we knew that track would be really fast and we prefer mud to speed and dust so we just pitted for the kids.

We did this one because they added the Jack & Jill Class, plus there was a decent amount of mud.

Here's a link to the info on the web (They haven't updated the results for the last race yet):

http://www.extmotorsports.com/

It really is a fun time.