Sign in to follow this  

My bike is dead!

After splitting the cases on my '02 and bolting everything back together it will not start. I am pretty sure I don't have a spark. I damaged the stator when I removed the flywheel (bolts were too long), so I reattached the wires with solder and covered up the connection with JB weld, the same way Yamaha does, except they use a cream colored epoxy.

How do find out if the plug is not firing for sure? I bet need to get my hands on a multimeter. Could someone please point me in the right direction!

To test for spark,

1. remove the spark plug

2. put the spark plug into the plug wire

3. make sure that the metal part of the spark plug is touching the engine block (metal ground)

4. turn over the engine with your hand on the kickstarter

5. look for blue spark on the end of the sparkplug

The spark is small and may not be able to be seen in full sunlight. A dark garage is perfect.

if you are checking for spark pull out the plug then ground it on the engine kick it over and look for a spark

if you cant see anyhting pick it up and hold it then kick it over if you feel a sharp zap then all is good (i dont recomend this its not very good for the electics but its the easiest way)dont do this if you have a pace maker

if you cant see anyhting pick it up and hold it then kick it over if you feel a sharp zap then all is good (i dont recomend this its not very good for the electics but its the easiest way)dont do this if you have a pace maker

😢 :cry:🤣 Can't wait to see this on ER Thursday night. 😢 :cry: 😢

Also, dont have a watch or a cell phone around because the current will jam it if it is too close.

Also make sure it has a good ground. If it wont spark, try other areas that is free of dirt, rust, paint, oil, etc...

Thanks for the insight fellas, I really appreciate it. I will have to wait until this weekend to give it a try. College usually gets in the way of important things. 😢

If I can't find a spark, I will probably be back. I got to thinking it could be bad fuel, hopefully that will be the problem.