Sign in to follow this  

Filter Cleaning and Oiling

A week ago my brother came over to the house to finish some siding and chaulking. That evening he called and said that he had trouble getting the sticky residue off his hands and wondered what I had in the Coleman fluid can that he used to clean up. I told him it is my Filter wash and that after I clean all my filters, (5 or so at a time) I let the fluid settle for a day or two and then filter it thru a coffee filter for re-use later. After a couple of uses this mixture of cleaning fluid and filter oil leaves the filters cleaned and oiled. They really dry up nice and tacky. I have always re-oiled, but do I need to?? Does anyone use this method for cleaning/oiling?. Feel free to say whatever you want for cleaning my filters with Coleman fluid (White Gas)or Kerosene but its what I do and I recycle it, No waste. 😢 :cry:

I use a UNI Filter, and buy their cleaning kit. Spray on the cleaner, and squeeze it into the filter. Rinse it off(inside to outside), letting it air dry overnight. The next day, I oil it with what's supplied in the kit squeezing the oil into the filter, apply grease around the base, install it in the air box, and it's ready for the next ride.

Easy Peasy, Japaneesey! 😢

Exaclt what Corey said. And it is sooo nice to have a face left instead of a burnt up carcass. Every time I hear people doing this it makes me nauseous. Keep spending that money on safety gear, then use white fuel to splash around in. Great. Wonderful. Perfect.

Exaclt what Corey said. And it is sooo nice to have a face left instead of a burnt up carcass. Every time I hear people doing this it makes me nauseous. Keep spending that money on safety gear, then use white fuel to splash around in. Great. Wonderful. Perfect.

Did I miss something here? I don't know what you are responding to? 😢

I don't have a problem with using Kerosene, I am just wondering, what kind of soap do you use to rinse the kerosene out? As for the Coleman fuel I can use this in my fire pit or tikki torches. 😢

Corey- just saying your method is what I use, also. Not a flammable to play with in the garage with water heaters nearby.

Hey cmanno...

Why do you need to clean the filter? When you only ride once ever 6 weeks how dirty can it get? Pull up you panties and put your clean air filter on and lets go ride!!! Are you still going to help me grind my header welds out? and rejet?

Hot water and soap. Stick it in front of a fan. Pour oil on, squish it around. Put in bike. Clean hands.

Total time: 15 minutes, including drying time.