Sign in to follow this  

Fixing fork oil leak

What does it take to fix an oil leak on a front fork tube? I’ve never had to mess these before, but the manual seems pretty clear about the steps.

I am assuming it’s the oil seal that’s bad since the leak didn’t begin after a big crash. The tube is leaking oil at a slow rate as it sits in the garage (at the dust seal area) , and I noticed oil on the trailer bed after hauling from yesterday’s ride.

Tools needed include seal driver and 50mm fork cap wrench, right?

Any advice or suggestions before I blunder into this fix?

Thanks!

BlackBuzzard

You could try cleaning the seal with a film negative.

If that doesn't work give us a try. 90 day warrantee 😢

Good luck, Rob Browning

do the business card/film negative thingy first. do a search on this site for directions.

MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS

check for burrs/dings on the tube in question(you could have one on the rear side of the tube where there is no protection from the guard), if you have one you have to hit it with emory papaer going across the slider(180? maybe), don't go up and down like the fork would travel, go the other way, across. i have used a file in the past as well.

you can also make a seal driver out of duct tape. tape it very tightly and make sure it has a good edge and you can drive that seal in solid with two hits. BAM BAM, picture the fork tube as a slide hammer....factory!

i recomend buying the tools though and becoming familiar with your forks. once you get forks down, the shock is easier!