Sign in to follow this  

END OF AN ERA – XR TAKES ITS FINAL BOW IN 2005

Here you go guys, i reported this

on Fullnoise a while ago and there was a bit of debate about whether it was real or not (No malice by the way - just people questioning).

So here is the official press release, released 10 mis ago.

******* OFFICIAL RLEASE FROM HONDA AUSTRALIA **********

END OF AN ERA – XR TAKES ITS FINAL BOW IN 2005

All good things must come to an end someone once

said, and so is the case for Honda’s legendary

XR400R and XR250R.

Honda Australia has announced that the last

production run of these two models will be March 2005,

and to recognise their enduring popularity, the

manufacturer is offering a special Cash Back offer on

all current models.

Valid until the 31 st of December, 2004, anyone

purchasing a new XR250 will receive $250 cash back. The same goes for the mid range XR

with customers receiving $400 back.

Both the XR400 and XR250 have had an illustrious career with their unbeatable bullet proof

reliability.

Australian landowners and farmers in particular have banked on the gutsy performance of the

XR250 for around 25 years, an impressive history in an age when most models only last a few

turns on the production line.

Its bigger brother has also been on Australian soil for nearly 10 years after Honda revolutionised

the industry in 1995 with the introduction of a middle range off-road bike offering a sublime

combination of power, handling and durability.

In line with their policy to provide the best service possible to all customers, Honda Australia will

continue to provide genuine parts for both bikes for the foreseeable future.

Anyone wanting to take advantage of the XR Cash Back offer should see their local Honda

dealer as soon as possible.

For more information regarding Honda’s full trail and enduro range for 2005, please go to www:

hondamotorcycles.com.au

a sad day for all XR owners just reading that the XR wil be no more kinda makes your heart just sink

Great work honda you produced one hell of a bike shame its been put down 😢

😢

Yes well its sad to see the XR's come to and end, but there is alot of advancments to be made in single cylinder technology! And Honda needs to get on top of it! And their not going to do that by continuing to to construct out dated engines.

I bet they wont make another engine as reliable as the XR, For a long time! 😢

Looks like I'm going to be holding on to my '02 for a long time 😢

March 2005 end of production...but something is wrong there...if you look at your manufacturer's tag on the frame, you will see something like 1996 model year...then under it...manufactured June 1995....remember, here it is october 2004....and the 2005 MODELS are out they were made earlier this year!....THAT TELLS ME XR400 IS GOING TO BE MADE...AT LEAST FOR AUSTRALIA, FOR 2 MORE YEARS...2005 MODEL AND 2006 MODEL. The latest issue of Dirt Rider is claiming there is no 2005 XR400 or 250 in the USA for 2005. Yeah, the CRF450EX is a bit lighter than the XR4...but $7K???? Also dig out some of the press data off the web...5 speed, but 1-5 have about the same spread as 1-4 on the XR4...same weight as the KTM...which has a decent set of 6 speed gears. They all make the mistake of crap gearing

😢 I'm keeping my XR for at least 10 years. 😢

Sure.....I'll eventually buy a Pumpkin, 😢 but my stable will always hold a reliable XR. Hell, what am I going to ride when I'm waiting for parts to arrive! 😢

Well guys here's my 2c.

At the demise of the dependable and powerful XR600R and then the arrival of the XR650R- the replacement that was thrust upon us back in 2000, I knew it was the beginning of the end when Honda would release a bike like that, when Yamaha were honing their light and powerful WR Range and winning races with their YZ-F.

I can only say that in the last half a decade or so, it appears that Honda have lost touch with its market and the result has been Yamaha taking -and keeping- the number one position (registered dirt bike sales in oz). This is something that would have been unthinkable back in the mid-nineties when Honda had a virtual stranglehold on the dirt bike market with the XR600 seemingly cemented in the number one position, (outselling its next competitor by 5 to 1!) and the XR250 also topping its class consistently.

We now mourn the loss of a range of dirt-bike that was bulletproof reliable and would run long and hard with minimal maintenance, was good value in the marketplace in the first place and could be "tarted up" and be competitive with the higher performance (and less reliable) European and Yamaha four-strokes, i think the word is flexibility.

I will watch with much interest, the lead-up and release of the new CRF450X enduro which is imminent and do hope that Honda dont "dress up" their motocrosser, as they have with the smaller model (CRF250X), the result, a tempramental race-bike that Honda recommend you DON'T ride on the streets even though the bike is sold street legal in Australia. In my opinion it must be fast and handle like only a race-bike can, but have a decent measure of reliability built in as well, a machine with these qualities is the only one that will get Honda back to the number one spot.

From a committed and hopeful Honda supporter,

yours,

Mark.