Sign in to follow this  

Long absence...after 25 years without riding(LONG)

MY HISTORY: Born, survived to my teenage years,caused trouble for my parents, wanted a dirtbike, well behaved until I got one, misbehaved again, rode every day that there wasn't snowpack, played hockey when there was, showed off to the girls, did crappy in school, bike stolen after three years of riding, was still crappy in school, graduated High School ( miracle ), tech school, good job, got married, had kids, got divorced, went on dates, got married again, bought an XR250....

The last event was three weeks ago. I bought an XR250. It wasn't part some grand plan. I hadn't even though about bikes for many years. The event that poked at my desire was about a month ago. I was surfing the Net, and I came across a picture of a bike that looked like the one that I had when I was a kid. It was a 1977 Honda XL75 ! Lots and lots of memories came back and the desire took over. Enough said.

When I picked up the bike at the dealership, the salesman ask if I wanted to take it for a spin in the parking lot. I looked at him with a perplexed stare thinking "Ride it here? In front of you? In this busy parking lot?... No, no its' OK, just help me get it on the truck." Truth is, I was afraid of making an ass of myself ( spent the better part of my life avoiding embarrasing myself ). Didn't want to seem like a rookie to the know-it-all saleman.

Once I got the bike home, I took it off of the truck and started it up. Warmed it up a bit a whacked the throttle a couple of times. Sure sounded good! Couldn't wait to ride !

The next weekend I took my new bike to Willow River SF, in Minnesota. I started the bike, let it warm up while I gathered my composure. I didn't have the greatest confidence in myself after 25 years without pulling a clutch. I climbed on, pulled the clutch, dropped it into first, gave a little gas, let out the clutch, and I was moving! There are no words that can describe the emotions.

I rode cautiously for the first few days, mostly to allow for the proper break-in of the bike. Over those few days, everthing, and I mean that, everything that I knew how to do as a kid came back to me like it was yesterday. Clutching, shifting, breaking, balance... everything came back, and after 100 miles on the bike and a fresh oil change, I was ready to RIP !

I got that chance just two days ago. In St Croix SF, in Minnesota. It had been raining in this part of the country for two weeks. Not the "downpour-then-sunshire" type of rain, but the autum "no-sunshine-for-weeks" type of rain. Needless to say, no matter what the ground is composed of, it will be MUDDY ! And muddy it was.

I rode through mud, sand, over rocks, up hills, down slopes... the only thing I didn't do is dump ! I came close many times in that nasty mud, but never did it. As for the conclusion of this bit, I can honestly say that the most exhilarating thing I have ever done in my life was within the last two days, and that was launch myself across an up-hill jump in the middle of a steep climb going fast, fast,fast !!!!!!

I have been reborn........... Thanks for your support TT'ers

Congrats .. 😢 I didnt ride for about 10yrs and it was kinda strange throwin a leg over again..

WAHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

No better feeling... 😢

(well there may be one exception... 😢)

MNXR250R,

CONGRATULATIONS!! and welcome back to riding!

It had been 15+ years for me... now I think about riding nearly every waking moment. It is my one great pleasure [outside my family of course, but then again... I've gotten all of them riding also!].

Great to hear you're back "in the saddle" and having fun! 😢

Congratulations about the new bike 😢. You can't go wrong with an XR. Invest in some good protective gear too, that stuff has a way of paying for itself over time. 😢

Much like many other TT members, I rode alot as a kid then when it came time for me to pay for my own bike food and rent came first... I didn't ride at all from 16 til 25. I've had my WR for about 2 months now and I love it alittle more everytime I ride it 😢

Welcome back. I had nearly a 20 year absence myself. I think you'll find this a very common occurance for guys our age. My buddy tells me most of us were forced off of bikes as teens and then in our 30/40s we get some money and we buy the bike we've been missing since selling our old bikes. That seems to ring true for me.

Congrats and continued fun,

DocS

That's essentially the story for me. I rode as a kid until age 14 when riding took a back seat to baseball and football. Then I got a bike at age 29 (YZ250 2 stroke) and promptly broke my shoulder in (4) places. That bike was too tall for me and had WAY TOO MUCH POWER for me.

Fast forward to age 39 and my 10 year old son wants to ride. I end up buying (3) bikes and a quad for my wife (just last week). We just got back from 5 days of trail riding in the Nat'l Forest of Durango. Aside from snowboarding in powder, thatw as the most fun I've had in a long, long, long time!!! 😢 :cry: 😢 :cry:

You're not the only one. I just started dirt riding again in the last year, after a 20 year layoff.

😢

pretty much the same story here, 20 years or so, at least you did better than i, when i picked up my dr650 which my p.od wife dropped my off to get. i stalled it 3 times in the lot 😢, i am sure they thought that i needed to have an ambulance follow me home!

pretty much the same story here, 20 years or so, at least you did better than i, when i picked up my dr650 which my p.od wife dropped my off to get. i stalled it 3 times in the lot 😢, i am sure they thought that i needed to have an ambulance follow me home!

WOW...I had a six pack and still understood that!! 😢 :cry: 😢

I have aways liked riding. I go when ever I can. I can relate to Mn. thing. I was raised in Mpls. myself (44 now). It seems as if winter always arrives too late and stays too long. So you should get in all the riding you can while you can. Be warned; you're on a slippery slope now. Watch out for the power monkey. He'll jump on your back before you even know he's in the area. By next summer you'll know what I mean.

Same story here. Broke 3 vetrabrae (sp) in my back and took a 15 year break (no pun intended). It wasn't that I didn't want to ride it was more I didn't want to hear all the flack about "If you get a bike you are going to kill yourself, Remember what happened last time"

Finally I got smart and bought a big thumper with a XR's Only Pipe to drown out the flack 😢 :cry: 😢

MNXR250R,

I am essentially in the same boat you were in, with the exception that you have already purchased a bike. I am currently looking for something along the lines of a XR-400 or DR-Z400E.

I have not ridden in about a decade (since I moved from Montana and CA) and something is stirring inside that is making me go nuts. This is going to be a REALLY hard long winter since I already have dirt bikes on the brain.

Would like to go riding with you when I do get a bike (I am in Minneapolis), since you have described the exact scenerio I dread. Stalling it in front of customers and the younger salesman at a dealership.

Sundog

Join the club. 20+ year lay off here. Welcome back and you should really consider Metamucil. It does wonders. 😢😢

... the only thing I didn't do is dump ! I came close many times in that nasty mud, but never did it.

..."Ride it here? In front of you? In this busy parking lot?... No, no its' OK, just help me get it on the truck." Truth is, I was afraid of making an ass of myself...

Why not? I live that scenario daily. 😢

I can honestly say that the most exhilarating thing I have ever done in my life was within the last two days, and that was launch myself across an up-hill jump in the middle of a steep climb going fast, fast,fast !!!!!!

I have been reborn........... Thanks for your support TT'ers

Excellent story. Welcome back. Like you; I spent seventeen years away from bikes - never even looked at 'em. But rather than buy something current, I jumped back into the bikes I had and raced as a teenager. 😢

Whatever road you choose to ride down - new bikes, or old; you're better for the trip. 😢

I had about a 5 year layoff from dirtbikes when I got back into them, I feel like I am right where I left off skill wise. Went with a YZ250 two stroke, felt kinda of underpowered and when trade became available for my KX500 I leaped at it. I feel this bike is actually easier to ride than previous dualsports with how easily it can be made to throttle oversteer 😢 I feel like a flat track racer everytime I hammer it.

Yep, I always feel like a little kid rolling around town on my fully modded DRZ400. And Im almost 40! I dont think most people ever see dirtbikes at all, much less on the roads. I get a lot of stares!

S7