Sign in to follow this  

03 DR650 SUSPENSION MODS

I just went on my first "real" dirt ride this weekend, (140+ miles) 70% of that was single track. i was impressed with the bike but felt the suspension needed some work. felt very soft and cased very easily. I contacted esp here in so cal (specializes in race suspension) and he said he can do a little with it but don't expect miracles because there are'nt that many companies making parts for the forks and shocks. any ideals before i go and drop 500$ on this? maybe swappng the forks out for a diff model? I'm not afraid to spend money, just want to get the most for it..thanks to all.. 😢

I rode recently with r-little who posts from time to time on this thread. I can ride halfway decent and my buddy out right flys on his DRZ400 coming in first in many dual sport runs we attend (I know there not races but everyone wants to finish well anyway). Rich had his 650 suspension done by ESP and he ran away from me on my 650 and it was all my friend could do to keep up with him on his lighter "better" 400! Rich says that Thumper racing sends thier work out to ESP too.(I can't confirm that though) Now I know that Rich is a better rider than I and that accounted for alot but his suspension work accounted for alot to. It didn't run like you would expect a heavy bike to on the tight whooped up sandy trails.

So yes,there is hope for the big heavy 650! 😢

I've talked to www.thumper-racing.net and they seemed more positive about the results than what you said you heard from ESP. Thier cost is $455.00.

Mike.

sounds good. that gives me a little hope. i talked to george over at esp and he said he will rework the forks and change the rear spring out for 500-600$. i know he does killer work, several of my friends have used him and they can't say enough about his work. maybe i'll just get off my "sore" butt 😢 and send them over there this week. thanks for the input. makes me feel a little more at ease..jon