Sign in to follow this  

oil filter o-ring

hey guys after reading through some posts I thought I would check for the small oil-ring sure enough I lost it 😢 dont know how long its been gone 😢 one two mabe three oil changes I dont know how much oil bypasses the filter without the o-ring I hope not alot. Has anyone bought a o-ring from a hardware store before? ive had the bike three years this is something you loose the first time not the 50th time I must have drain bramage 😢 from hitting all the trees 😢

To be on the safe side go down to your local auto parts store and get one. As a scube tech I can assure you that O-rings are made out of several materials and not all are impervious to oil and even fewer to gas, and yes there is a good chance that some gasoline molecules find their way into the oil. Just make sure you also get one with all three dimensions the same: inner diameter, outter diameter and the diameter of the 0-ring itself.

From Ronayers.com:

The small o-ring, p/n 09280-13004, $1.01 ea.

The larger, filter cover o-ring, p/n 09280-54001, $1.80 ea.

My last two services at my local dealer they charged me $2.50 for the little ring and get this...$10.00 for the larger o-ring. Shame on them for gouging 😢

DYI from here on out. 😢

I had to go in and get a filter at my dealership a few months ago. I also asked for the smaller o-ring, and they said that Suzuki only recommends changing it after every 3rd or so oil change. It may be true that is all that is necessary, but it says right in the owner's manual and in the shop manual to change it after EVERY change. For some reason this just bothered me and I thought I'd share.

Another interesting note...I've changed my small o-ring on the last 3 oil changes...and asked for all other parts needed for the job. Each time it's been the same dude at the parts counter, and each time he looked at me like I was on drugs...and each time he had to look at the fiche to figure out what I was talking about when I mentioned "o-ring" and "crush washer." This time I also got the large o-ring for the filter cover plate. They disputed it's existence too! 😢

Aw damn it, does this mean im gonna have to cut back on the long neck buds during oil changes? 😢

I went auto zone and bought the last three they had all three for under a buck at the small expense I will change everytime I change the oil. thanks klxrambo for the size 1/2 in was the ticket. And mvjluvsdrz in my case it was MGD 😢

I just go into the dealer and ask for the DRZ "oil change kit" and they know exactly what I'm talking about. Filter, 2 o-rings, and 2 crush washers. About $15.

That would be about $11.00 too much 😢

The filters can be had for about $3 from the internet.. or $6~8 from your dealer

The O-rings are not disposable,, and can be reused many times.. This is not a guess.. it just is.

The washers you speak of,, are not crush washers,, but copper sealing washers.. and can be reused many times also..

To each his own,, and replacing both O-rings and washers for an oil changes is never a bad idea 😢 Just in MHO, not needed.

I am on my 4th oil change with same o-rings and same washers and not a drop leaks. will keep using the washers until I see a leak... 😢