Sign in to follow this  

Doubles

I just bought a YZ 250F last week, and have only rode it twice, and before i bought it, I rode my buddies CRF250R. I am starting to get some awsome air on tabletops but have not got the manhood to clear jumps, or I guess doubles. Im worried im going to undershoot it and hit the front side of the landing part, ouch. So what is the technique it taking them on? Any hits or tips out there? thanks

Keep doing the tabletops until you're confident that you have good control of the bike in the air. When you get to doubles, try and pace someone who is doing the doubles to get the proper speed. Knowing the proper speed just comes down to lots of seat time.

Yep, do the safe jumps first to learn what your bike does and get a feel for the speed it takes to go an x amount of distance. and remember, it is always better to fly too far than not far enough (usually) 😢

You sound new to riding - as I was 1.5 years ago. Do yourself a favor... don't be a hero. Give it some time. Work the tables you know you can do and learn to work the bike. Doubles will screw w/ the newbie rider, but they're nothing more than a table w/ the middle dug out.

haha, easiers said then done shifter. Well, Its not that i dont have the "balls" to do doubles, i just want to make sure i know how to do them before i try,because im a Marine and i can get in trouble for hurting myself. soooo i wanna try not too lol which probably doesnt matter cuz thats just what happens with moto, but i dont care, its too addicting. the following someone idea sounds good.

what the hell? trouble for getting hurt? thats crap, its your life, no one can contorl you, just live it. 😢

All others here has good advice, nothin really more to say!

i definitly thinks its great advice and all, and im gonna take it, but...im not BSing anyone when i say i can get in trouble for getting hurt, in the marine corp, your body belongs to the government, and yes, they do control mylife, trust me...lol if i was to get hurt they can charge me with destruction of governent property, and it could result in a NJP, which is non judicial punishment. not saying that i will definitly get in trouble, but it is possible. but yes, all the advice is great.

i definitly thinks its great advice and all, and im gonna take it, but...im not BSing anyone when i say i can get in trouble for getting hurt, in the marine corp, your body belongs to the government, and yes, they do control mylife, trust me...lol if i was to get hurt they can charge me with destruction of governent property, and it could result in a NJP, which is non judicial punishment. not saying that i will definitly get in trouble, but it is possible. but yes, all the advice is great.

If the stakes are that high, don't push it. You aren't racing or anything (i assume) so just take it easy on those. 😢

Like other ppl have siad jsut try to get a real good fealing for the bike before you try anything you arnt used to. Also when you commit to doing that jump

or section tell you self you can do this you have to knwo that you can do somthin before you do it. peace be safe and have fun.

Be careful on big tabletops though like you would be on doubles. If you come up just short you can bounce off the end of it and really get hurt bad. I actually like hitting bigger doubles than I do tables. Some people might think that sounds wierd.

If you've seen the video I posted, you know what can happen if you don't clear the double! I think that as long as you don't accidentally shift into neutral on the face of the jump (duhh) you'll be alright if you start small. Do you have access to any doubles that are only 15 feet or so? The double in the video is small but I never had the courage to try it. Now that we've been kicked out of that riding area I can't go try it.

it took me a while to do doubles i knew i could do them as i was doing table tops double the length it was the fear of the gap and no room for error.the first one i done i over jumped it so i thourght i better slow down.my point is do small ones and over jump then start slowing down to land on the down ramps.then work your way up to bigger ones.table tops are safer but harder to construct.doubles are easer to construct i would think that would be the main reason for doubles

haha, easiers said then done shifter. Well, Its not that i dont have the "balls" to do doubles, i just want to make sure i know how to do them before i try...

Like I said, time spent in practice in other areas will make you more comfortable in general and able to better sort out the calculations/risk involved w/ doubles. I did a few my first time on a MX track. Made 'em but not w/o some streaks in my drawers. I then stepped back and worked on other things and left the doubles alone. This season, I've spent a ton of time practicing and learning/dealing with the bike which has made the pucker situations less of an issue.

There are some tables at my regular practice track that I can make w/ my eyes closed. I apply those known distances, the ramps and landings, etc. to doubles that come upon elsewhere. In other words when I'm walking a track w/ doubles that I've never riden I stand on each peak looking toward the landing or back at the ramp and figure how similar the ramp, landing and gap is to a given table that I know by heart.

I know that sounds like a lot off effort, but I'm relatively new to MX, 38 years old with a mortgage, a wife and kids that need me working, so I do my best to know what I'm getting into.

I think your team leader is feeding you crap. If you go riding and are not wearing protective equipment then yes you could be charges because it's a standing order. But you can do anything you want on your off time withing the regulations and Company/ Battalion Policy Letters. 😢

But you can do anything you want on your off time withing the regulations and Company/ Battalion Policy Letters. 😢

My brother lost a rank in the army for getting sun burn while stationed in Hawaii. He was charged with destruction of goverment property.

They are not messing arround when they say your body is theirs.

If he lost rank for getting sunburned, it WASN'T because he was sunburned... it was most likely because he got sunburned to such a degree that he was unable to carry his pack or perform his day-to-day job and therefore could be considered derelict in his duties (or something to that effect).

My point is, the sunburn itself is not cause for concern, or un-assing your dirtbike, etc... it's what you may no longer be able to do as a result of something like that that may get you in trouble with certain branches of military service.

I didn't read all the replies, but what I use to do to practise doubles, is do it on tabletops. Roll over the new tabletop jump you have found, and check it out. Then hit that first go! Just suss out the lip before you do it though.

But you can also do a small jump into the middle of the double when you come along one of them just to see how it throughs you.

Marine,

Go to the motorcycle safety course, it may not totally apply to MX it is mostly street bike stuff, but cover your bases with the military. Trust a vet racer, you WILL crash, it is just a matter of when. I broke some bones not too long ago and nothing happened...no NJP, nothing at all. My division carried on without me for 4 weeks. Just make sure you wear ALL the safety gear you can wear (if they make it, wear it) and take the safety course. Have fun.

Well put!

That's basically what I was trying to say... just didn't say it that well. The military will not take action against you or something you do in your off-time if you've taken the proper precautions. Like YZ said - if you've taken the safety course and wear all your gear, then you've got nothing to worry about... [@#$%&*!] happens. I've been in 20 yrs now and I've pulled some stupid stunts in my time, but nothing's ever happened to me (punishment wise) as a result because I always had the proper training or documentation to back me up. 😢