where are the cheap old xr400s?

I havent seen an xr400 for less than 2500. That doesnt mean they dont sell for less. Get the cash in hand,then buy a copy of the cycletrader. Go look at a few older xr's and be ready to deal. You might catch the seller on a bad/good day depending which side of the fence you're on. Cash is king in a private party sale and back alley crap games. ?

I found a nice 96 last week for $1200 for a friend. It was already loaded up with all the aftermarket goodies, pipe, skid plate, triple clamps, etc. But it takes a lot of digging and you have to be willing to drive at least 8 hours one way. But they can be found. But what is even harder to find is a non running xr400.

Seems like the price was $3500, 3300, 2800, now 2500.

That seems like a good price.

There are "like new" XR400's out there for 2500.

Mine is plated in California, which should help retain it's value a little.

The XR400 is getting traded in for the CRF250X, so find someone that is selling.

www.craigslist.com

www.cycletrader.com

hey,

Do what I did. . . You are in Cali., right, so go to Recycler.com and surf the motorcycle section twice a week, when the good deal appears, and it will, POUNCE!! -be the first to call, Show up with cash in hand, cuz they will be flooded with calls. From the Recycler, you can get a very good idea about the going value. I waited for about 8 months, and when that ONE came along, I got it--"96 xr400: asking over $2400, talked him down to $1800. If you are flexible, there are DRZ's and Kawi's too, less often than old hondas though. ? :cry: ?

Rebecca, the recycler is the best bet. Here's my methodology:

If I was to start looking tomorrow, I'd benchmark all the biks and call on the ones I'm interested in. Never assume the price is firm or even close to it in the recycler.

So then I go back tomorrow and search only ads one day old. I do this everyday so I dont have to weed thru the 100 bikes in there.

Usually there's 3-5 new bikes a day. Then do like the previous post, call and have cash in hand.

So ummm, can Mr. Pants ride? Does he know monkey butt isn't something you get when you camp with Corey? ?

I am going to get one running for a buddy of mine and he wanted to sell it as nobody in his family rides it anymore so I wanted to see the going rate of 96-98 xr400 and the dam things are 3 grand!

What are you looking to pay for a 96-98? If his is in your range I will let you know.