Sign in to follow this  

For those have faced valves issue..................

I'll post this also in the 250 forum.

The subject is being treated hundreds and hundreds of time but, if i've not missed something, I've never seen posted this.

I'd like to know, from those who had intake valves recession, if when replacing the valves (no matter if with SS or OEM parts), somebody has taken the time to measure the old/dismounted valve springs against specs. as reported in the service manual.

If somebody did, could you please let us know if they were still in spec or.......

i have tested several used sets and i have yet to find one that is considerably different from a new spring .

i have tested several used sets and i have yet to find one that is considerably different from a new spring .

What do you mean exactly by "considerably different"? It would be interesting to compare one used with a stock new not only by dimensional inspection but also by load resistance, but this require specific test machines.

Two years ago, I converted my 2002 450. I remember measuring the stock springs and they were within posted specs. Since I converted to the stainless valve and new stiffer spring set-up.... no more problems with losing valve clearance.

The saga began for me two weeks ago when I checked clearance on my long-abused 2002 CRF450. In any case, the springs on the Intake were in speck, the Exhaust were just at the edge of speck if I reacall, but still OK. Which kinda makes sense as the intake valves were backed up with no cam clearance putting less stress on the springs (does that make sense?). In any case - my head is with Ron Hemp getting 4 new SS vales, new springs/titanium bits and a polish job. One last note - I split the cases for the hell of it and everything is perfect except one of the bearings on a transmission shaft - seems very tight. Otherwise, new piston (04') OEM going in and them back in the first for another 3 years of abuse. ;-) My 37 year old body just can't get enough Advil I guess.

😢

Steve

SD. Just curious. How much is that valve job going to cost?