Sign in to follow this  

E Base Gasket Problem

I did what you guys said and ordered a top end gasket set from the TT store and ignored the fact that it said for an S. Everyone stated that an aftermarket gasket is not made for the S. Well I got the 3 ply riveted Cometic base gasket 😢 :cry:

I don't think I have a real problem but want to ask your opinion. The outer plys are identical with the inner ply being what appears to be a different material (color). I know that I could carefully drill out the 3 rivets without deforming the metal in any way - so I plan on doing this - Is this OK to do? The E gasket is technically 3 E gaskets sandwiched together - Right? 😢 Please give me your opinion

Are you sure that is not the head gasket??? I have two sets of the very same gasket set.. and both are single ply base gasket.. The head gasket is mylt ply... >> So take a look 😢

If indeed you got an S set.. (both gaskets are 3 ply) then yes,, it has been suggested, a simple rivet removel would work to get you a single gasket.

Bronco,

You are correct in saying that one of my gaskets is 1 ply and the other is 3 ply. Is the head gasket 3 ply on the E and the S? I did not notice that the head gasket installed on my bike was 3 ply????? Just looking at the gaskets, I don't know the difference between the head and base - I would find out later with hole patterns on the machine. Thanks, Stu

No problem.. Yes, both Head gaskets are the same,, E & S,, and are 3ply 😢

The E has a single ply base, and the S has a 3ply base.

The difference will be easy to see whan you match up haskets to the head vs base of the case.. Look at the timing chain area 😢

OK Thanks for the help - But now this begs the question - although the thinking may be faulty - Why not change to a single ply head gasket to increase the compression? 😢 This would save a set of rings and some engine disassembly. Let me know on this one - appreciate your help and experience 😢

theres no such thing as a single ply head gasket for a drz.

you could remove the rivets from a new gasket and do it that way,but forewarned its pretty risky.

changing the base gasket is the way to do it.no need to re invent the wheel.

you could remove the rivets from a new gasket and do it that way,but forewarned its pretty risky.

Burned,, Stu thought both head and base were supposed to be 1 ply.. so he was suggesting he remove a ply from the base..(really the head gasket in his hands) What he did not understand was.. He already had the E gasket set/// 3ply head, 1 ply base... He is good to go.. no plyectomy required

Thanks guys - yes I am good to go. All my questions are answered.

Burned,, Stu thought both head and base were supposed to be 1 ply.. so he was suggesting he remove a ply from the base..(really the head gasket in his hands) What he did not understand was.. He already had the E gasket set/// 3ply head, 1 ply base... He is good to go.. no plyectomy required

this is what i read.

Why not change to a single ply head gasket to increase the compression? This would save a set of rings and some engine disassembly. Let me know on this one - appreciate your help and experience

this is what i read.

Why not change to a single ply head gasket to increase the compression? This would save a set of rings and some engine disassembly. Let me know on this one - appreciate your help and experience

Duuuuuuuuuuuooooooooo.. Yep, I answerd his PM question... but did not fully read the forum one..

Good catch, Mr Senior Mod

That was my first thought, but remimber it's water cooled.

and a 5 speed and uses two overhead cams,, but what was your point? 🤣

My point...notice at the top of my post [Re:Stu35]

🤣 and a 5 speed and uses two overhead cams,, but what was your point? :D

My point...notice at the top of my post [Re:Stu35]

Ok,, I'm dense I guess..

This is your entire post

Re: E Base Gasket Problem [Re: Stu35]

The only thing at the top of your post,, is the header from stu's post..???

I'm sure I am missing something simple But all I see is your one line reply,, no other previous post quoted? So your one line reply of "That was my first thought, but remimber it's water cooled." Is just that.. Out there flapping.. With out the post quoted to which you answered..

Was it in reference to stu's post about separating the head gasket?

This is all just BS now, as Stu’s questions have been answered.. Now it’s just my stupid curiosity to understand your reply

So an E gasket is one ply and the S is 3 ply for the base gasket? How much difference in thickness? Reason I ask is I'm wondering if anything has been changed on my bike as I bought it used. My base gasket has a little lip that is barely visible....maybe I can mic it. What are the specs for the thickness?

Jerry

The 3 ply S base gasket is easy to see.. It will have an overhanging tab at 2 corners.. That will have a a small brass rivet holding the three plys togeather. If you can not see that,, it should be a single ply E bsae gasket.