Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha 2 Trac

I saw this on "International Motorcycle Brokers Inc."

YAMAHA

Yamaha Price List

2005 Yamaha WR450F 2 Trac $12499

What's a WR450F 2 Trac? 😢 Is this a two wheel drive motorcycle built by Yamaha?

YAMAHA

Yamaha Price List

That's correct, the first production AWD dirtbike.

YAMAHA

Yamaha Price List

That's correct, the first production AWD dirtbike.

And, for the time being, heavily overpriced.

Checked it out the web and read up about it. It has an "ohlins" front drive system. That's why it doubles the cost. They say if Kayaba comes out with one, it would be thousands less.

Yamaha has a vested interest in Ohlins and this project is a culmination of years of testing. I think the 2 trac actually made it from the sketch pad to a working model back in the early 90's. Up to this point, it has just been an R&D model. From what i have read, they have finally worked all the bugs out and are just now able to offer it up to consumers.

I think that overall the package only adds about 20 pounds to the total weight of a stock 450. This model has come a long way since the feasibility study that was first conducted in the early nineties.

As far as Kayaba picking up the technology, i don't see that happening. This has been a consorted effort between Yamaha and Ohlins since day one. For Ohlins to give up there vested interest in a long term project of this nature, i don't see that happening.

Sure, it has a rather large sticker price. But look at it this way. At least you get Ohlins suspension on the thing... A heck of a price to pay for it but if it makes the prospective buyer feel better about their purchase then so be it.

Note: The 2 Trac has had some very good placings in the world of rally sport, especially the last few years with rider David Fretigne on board. First in the '02 and '03 shamrock and a first place finish in the Dakar this year.

When they start mass production and the price drops, i can see this bike being a fierce competitor in the world of off road motor sports

the bike is awesome, but yeah it is a little much. i hear that about 15 or 20% of the bikes power goes to the front wheel...i saw a vid of a guy throwin roost from the front wheel...looked reall sweet!

Does anyone have a pic?

If you do a Google search, you'll find tons of articles.

I'm waiting for the price to drop as well. I'm a medium-skilled offroad rider, I like to use a dualsport to explore Jeep trails and ghost towns and such. Reviews claim that the 2wd system is most helpful to intermediate riders, so there I am... <g>

When the price comes down, I'd like to buy one and add a license plate and use it to explore a bit more.

There's an article in one of the mag's I get (either Dirt Rider or Transworld) about this bike. I believe I read that at least for this year, it's not available in the US. The story for the article was done in Australia. 😢 :cry:

i read an article, when the rear tire slips about 15-20%, the power is transfered to the front via a chain drive to an oil reseovior, and the oil is pumped down and spins the tire, quite ingenious.

This months DirtRider has a big article with all the tech info, pics, etc. you could want.

Go get a copy and check it out...they also have a seperate article on a 2 wheel drive mechanical system developed by a guy in the USA.

It kicked ass in the paris to dakar rally! Kept up with most the big bore bikes. Ktm also has a version. It will be the future. I want one but not at that price. I hear that the price will drop as production increases. Big Bob should get one and tell us what he thinks. 😢