Sign in to follow this  

First time off-road, first time on my 01 WR!!!

Hi all, I bought my WR about 4 months ago, and with the help of some friends and advice from the list it finally past its MOT on Friday!!! I gave up trying to get the half-wave rectifier on the horn working and bought a £5 bike horn from Halfords. Had to tape up the lights and get it done on a daytime MOT, otherwise it'd need indicators.

On Sunday I went out with four other guys, and did about 40 off-road miles around Ingleton (up towards Kendal). Some pics here.

Had a really good time but felt like death the next day. Still feeling pretty second hand now. Had a couple of off's including the most spectacular one of the day!

I was riding along a rutted trail and the front wheel climbed up the rut, making the bike spit me off to the left. Unfortunately the trail dropped off to the left, so I landed about 12 feet away from the bike (almost a full forward flip). Must've landed on my arse because I didn't hurt anything.

A little later I had the same problem with a rut (struggled with them all day actually), and landed hard on my chest. Like an idiot, this was right where I'd put my phone and wallet. Ouch, but you live and learn. Im pretty sure I haven't cracked the rib, but having never done one before im not sure. It feels kind of like a stitch, more of an annoying throb than a real pain.

I also had one of the luckiest near-misses of the day! One of those pics is me coming down a cobbled section to the river crossing. Earlier on we did that crossing going the other way (i.e. up the cobbles). As my back wheel hit the cobbles it stepped out, which made me accidentally gas it like a b*stard. When the back gripped the front shot up in the air, fully crossed up, bounced of the wall and landed perfectly straight!

I thought the bike worked really well but was a bit buzzy. Not what you'd call a chugger, needed lots of revs to keep moving. The kick start got to be very hard work, very quickly. I think I'll get used to it (decomp cam may be on order at some point soon 😢). Also, when im a bit less useless I might not stall it so much!

Assuming I can move by the weekend and I've not bust a rib, I'll be out again this Sunday! Cant wait.

Laters

Phil

Sounds like fun

I have a 02 yz250f with the whole decompression thing and my first ride with it was terrible. Give it a couple rides you'll get used to not stalling it and how to start it. 😢

phil,

great pics -- looks like fun wet weather riding.

couple of ideas:

1) yes, get the '03 auto-compression release cam; not only does it make starting easier but it makes stalling harder as well. this is because at low engine RPMs the auto-compression release actuates and allows the engine to spin easier.

2) meanwhile, turn the idle up a bit, will deter stalling as well.

3) if you are riding in the wet with the stock dunlop D739 front you will have problems. get a D756, D773, or other tire more suitable to wet/muddy conditions. the stock D739 rear is not bad though.

4) work on keeping your feet on the pegs. while you are riding out in the open it's not so bad, but in the woods if you start flailing your legs around eventually The Big Pinch will happen. you'll catch your leg or ankle between the foot peg and a stump, and after that you'll be in major pain. weeks later you'll be walking normal again.

5) when riding in areas like in your pictures, try *not* to follow the deep ruts made by others. these ruts have a tendency to collect rainwater and just get softer and deeper over time. start looking for the "better way" around the really soft areas -- even if you have to let your buddy pass by you and find out for himself that one way didn't work. then go the other way. eventually you'll see that the first guy to a big water hazard either is a) really good (e.g. AA rider) and can blast or work his way through, or 😢 not good enough and will helpfully provide you with info on what way NOT to go. 😢

6) as you found out, stalling and restarting the bike takes TONS of energy (and those are metric tons, for you). try to ride smooth and keep the motor going. usually that means getting more familiar with the clutch. work on feathering your left hand when approaching areas that will force you to go slow.

regards,

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

ps:

go l'pool. i miss owen though.

3) if you are riding in the wet with the stock dunlop D739 front you will have problems. get a D756, D773, or other tire more suitable to wet/muddy conditions. the stock D739 rear is not bad though.

The stock Dunlops on my YZF suck so bad. What's even worse is now it's the windertime! I think I'll be getting Maxxis's soon. 😢

Phil, Excellent photo's! Give the bike time, and you will quickly learn to love it! Yes, the auto-decomp cam does make life much easier when it comes time to start the beast. But as for trying not to stall it in the first place, one of the greatest inventions ever is the Rekluse Z-start auto clutch! If you've got the money for it, you would be wise to purchase one. They are absolutely amazing at the way they work perfectly every single time. Like someone suggested, you can turn your idle up, and this will help keep your bike from stalling too, but the Z-start will do this and much more! And from the looks of your photo's, you've got some gnarly trails over there!!! Your probably just getting into this sport, and the Z-start is probably quite costly over there, so just keep practising for now. Your going to love that bike! Congratulations!

Maniac 😢

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

The good news is the rib isn't cracked (I can turn over in bed without having to climb down from the ceiling, so I assume so!). Also, im not walking like Herman Munster anymore. The bad news is that this means I'll probably be going out again this weekend 😢 Also, my mate Peter will be coming out, and I've been winding him up for months about his TT250R being an old nail. I think he'll probably just take me somewhere quiet and give me a kicking 😢

Wrooster, thanks for the ideas (didn't recognize you without agent smith)

1) The auto-comp cam is sounding more and more appealing, but I promised myself I'd just get out on the bike and ride it *LOTS* before spending any more cash. Would you guys go for the WR or YZ cam? What are the differences between them?

2) I turned up the idle whilst I was out, but it made some of the steep down-hill sections a nightmare (bye bye engine braking!).

3) Already got a new set of tyres on, they're Michelins (cant remember the exact name).

4) The flailing legs usually coincided with me flying through the air! Most of the lazy-legs pictures where at the end of the day when I was almost dead on the bike.

5) Sounds like good advice, but how do you stop your front wheel riding up the side of a rut? (which makes me loose my balance and steer even further into the rut).

6) Was getting better towards the end of the day, more practice required I think.

If I survive the weekend I'll make sure to post any new pics.

Laters

Phil

Cool shots Phil,

Its making me really look forward to this weekend - my first date with my '02 WR250F. Spent the last three weeks, cleaning, and staring at it, and surfing the net for info on my new baby (much to my girl friends disinterest).

Havent been out since a nasty knee reco accident in Mar '02 on my KTM250EXC.... Hoping to avoid a repeat of that one 😢

Clint

Hey Clint, have a good weekend and be careful with that knee! I've got to try and land anywhere but on my ribs 😢

Hi All,

was out on my WR again yesterday and had a great time. We did the same route as last week and I *think* I was 100% better this time. Because I was complaining about my bumps and bruises from the previous week, the guys have christened that route "Phils Rib"! I quite like it 😢

I didn't stall half as much and *almost* made it right up the huge bog of a hill that I was mired in last time.

Kicking the bike over is still a massive chore, I think the 03 cam will be on order this week.

Some new pics here.

Next time out will be this friday, cant wait!

Laters

Phil