Dyno Comparo

I posted this in the XR forum also.

Does anyone know how the torque and horsepower of the XR400 compare with the same figures for a DRZ400S and a DRZ400E? I love my XR400, but I never planned on keeping it long term. Thanks, Larry

Heres a link to DRZ claimed HP.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB12&Number=1447876&Forum=UBB12&Words=dyno&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=1446695&Search=true#Post1447876

Cant help you on an XR, I cant tell you my E ( Yosh exhaust and Hot Cam intake) has more power than my friends XR (440, white brothers e-series exhaust and stage 1 hotcam)

No numbers for you .. sorry ? Not that it would matter.. Dyno figures are very subjective to both the machine and the operator.. No two different runs can be compared unless done in the same way, on the same machine (same design at least)

Not sure I've ever read a report that had all three of those bike on the same dyno ?

Might be interesting to read,, though ?

I posted this in the XR forum also.

Does anyone know how the torque and horsepower of the XR400 compare with the same figures for a DRZ400S and a DRZ400E? I love my XR400, but I never planned on keeping it long term. Thanks, Larry

try this link, looks like it has some stock comparisons and looks like the outdated honda 400 has only about 30 ponies to work with http://www.4strokes.com/articles/400hpcomp.asp

I read that one also.. and emailed asking if all the dyno runs were done on the same dyno, and if so, by the same operator. I never got a real answer back.. Which makes me think it was not done that way.

All I'm suggesting is,, take Dyno numbers with a large heaping of salt. They may be right,, but the odds are against it.

EDIT: Yes I know it says all runs done on a WB dyno,,, ,, but to me that is not the same as saying they were done on the SAME dyno..

Good point and well taken, Prob would be just a baseline kinda, bottom line it looks as though the honda hits about 30 ponies and falls flat on its face where the zuk hits about 36/7 and flattens out. There may be a ponie or 2 not being accounted for but I think the overall comparison/idea is sound. So go for the drz and leave the xr behind. Now honda is comming out with a new 450x that looks nice but hard to say if they have corrected some of there issues they had in there previous hopped up bikes. time will tell ?

I'm sure Bronco is right about the unreliability of dyno testing. But given the fact that we don't get to do test rides on new bikes, you have to have something to go on in deciding what bike to get.

Coloradorockin, the dyno chart is just what I was looking for. I read that one way to calculate horsepower is "hp = (torque x rpm)/5252." So, below 5252 rpms, torque is always higher than hp. Torque and hp are always equal at 5252 rpms. What the chart tells me (assuming identical machines, operators and conditions) is that the torque of the XR and the DRZ is about the same up to 6,000 rpms. So, I assume that I'd get the stump-pulling grunt of the XR in a DRZ. Is that more or less accurate? Larry

From what I understand from previous posts (dyno chart aside) The honda rips good but falls flat very early where as the DRZ keeps on bookin. I would think they are very comparable with there bottem end grunt but after that the DRZ really shines. The 400 honda was a good bike that didn't seem to suffer some of the issues that the 450 has but it is based on old technology and is a little antiquated. If you are considering a new bike and those are your choices I don't think you can go wrong with the DRZ, very strong runner good bottem end and reliable as the day is long. ?

I hear what you're saying about the DRZ. It just doesn't have any competition for the kind of riding I want to do. I was a little concerned that the DRZ wouldn't have the grunt to get up hills as well as the XR, but that doesn't look like it will be a problem.

I think a lot of the DRZ guys on this site unfairly knock the XR400 for its "old tech" design. There is something to be said for the simplicity and the raw feeling of reliability and power you get from that bike. Try mine sometime - it is a hoot.

But anyway, I'm kind of a believer in high tech and the DRZ has the "goods" that I want in my next bike. Thanks again for the responses. Larry