Sign in to follow this  

Lights keep blowing out.

My wife’s 03 WR250F has a blown headlight and tail light. I had an extra tail light so I replaced the bad one and started the bike and the new bulb burned out when I revved the engine. I then checked the voltage and got about 1.2 volts with the engine revved up a small amount. I thought this was strange because it is a 12 volt system and the same volt meter was showing 14 volts across the battery. I checked the output on my 03 WR250F and got the same reading.

I am not sure what is going on but thought that perhaps there is too much current going to the tail light because of the missing head light. Could this be the case? I really didn’t want to risk putting my headlight in her bike and having to replace 2 of them.

Sounds like your voltage regulator went south. That is the little 1x1x1/2 silver box on the side of the steering stem. Might just be a bad connection to it. Or a bad ground.

The regulator bleads off excess voltage to ground so you dont blow your bulbs. Without it the bulbs are toast. Even without the headlight on the regulator should still blead off enough so the tailight dont blow.

Id look there 1st.

Yes you would.

Replace the headlight bulb. This same thing happened on an XR 250 I once owned. Without the headlight connected, the tail would blow.

Update:

We went for a ride after I replaced the headlight and tail light. An hour into the ride I noticed that my wife’s lights were out. When I got home, sure enough both bulbs were blown again! I did the test that is described in the book for the rectifier and it tested perfect. I also checked for any shorts. This morning I swapped the rectifiers and will keep swapping parts until I find the problem unless someone has a better idea.

AussieOne, you must be asking about the tail light. It can be a pain to get out if it is stuck in the socket. I gave the socket a squirt of WD40 and then put some thick leather gloves on incase it broke while I was messing with it. If you can’t get it out just break the glass and use some pliers to get the rest out. Put some dielectric grease in the socket before putting the new bulb in.