Sign in to follow this  

Newbie with some questions. ( not stupid ones either I hope)

Hey guys, Great site. Why don't I start with telling you I'm a 23 year old guy from milwaukee wisconsin. Ok, now that that is out of the way......

I just got an Old 1981 XR 100. I got the bike in hopes of just riding it and goofing around in the yard. I now am actually having more fun working on it than riding it. I have a couple of quick questins.

1. The bike is blowing a lot of smoke out of the tail pipe and needs a rebuild. Do I just need a ring and seal kit? Should that do it? Is there anything special I need to watch for when doing this?

2. Where should I get the parts? Is there a good site for purchasing these parts?

3. The 110cc bore kit. Im not understanding this clearly yet. Will I need to have the cylinder bore out to make this work? Is there a noticeable difference? Would you just rebuild what I have already or try to go bigger?

4. Sprockets. This bikes 1st gear is almost useless to me. It's to low. What sprocket would you go with to get that first gear not quite as short an increase top end a little bit.

5. Valve springs. It seems like at a higher RPM the valves start to float pretty good. Any recomendatins?

I took this bike on as just a bike to ride but now I would like to make it a hobby. It looks like this could be a lot of fun. Thank you.

Hey guys, Great site. Why don't I start with telling you I'm a 23 year old guy from milwaukee wisconsin. Ok, now that that is out of the way......

Hi and Welcome to TT

I just got an Old 1981 XR 100. I got the bike in hopes of just riding it and goofing around in the yard. I now am actually having more fun working on it than riding it. I have a couple of quick questins.

1. The bike is blowing a lot of smoke out of the tail pipe and needs a rebuild. Do I just need a ring and seal kit? Should that do it? Is there anything special I need to watch for when doing this?

Probably only rings and valve seals will work but to be sure I would get it bored and put a new piston in too.

2. Where should I get the parts? Is there a good site for purchasing these parts?

Wiseco makes a piston kit but I found that stock (OEM Honda) is actually cheaper.

3. The 110cc bore kit. Im not understanding this clearly yet. Will I need to have the cylinder bore out to make this work? Is there a noticeable difference? Would you just rebuild what I have already or try to go bigger?

Yes with the 110cc kit you need to re-bore but not re-sleeve the cylinder.

This might be a little more money than going with a OEM overbore but I think the extra power you get is worth it.

4. Sprockets. This bikes 1st gear is almost useless to me. It's to low. What sprocket would you go with to get that first gear not quite as short an increase top end a little bit.

Everybody that has one of these changes to a 15T front sprocket

5. Valve springs. It seems like at a higher RPM the valves start to float pretty good. Any recommendations?

Powroll makes a HD valve spring kit for XR100’s I would also recommend a cam too.

I took this bike on as just a bike to ride but now I would like to make it a hobby. It looks like this could be a lot of fun. Thank you.

Maybe once this bike is running well you could sell it and put the money towards a newer one 1992 and newer have CDI ignitions and 1986 and newer have Pro-Link rear suspension.

Hey, thank you for your help. What do I watch for on my bike to see if it has been fitted with a CDI system? I doubt it has but there is a cahnce.

If anybody else has anything to add, please do.

easiest way is to look at the flywheel if it only has 2 small holes in it it is a CDI flywheel (also a pick-up mounted on the outside by the countershaft sprocket side) if it has big slots on it its a points ignition.

Well, I just got off the phone with the local Honda dealer. $45 for seals, rings. Sound right? Im guessing that I can have this done in a couple hours right?

Sound very expensive. What seals are you talking about? valve guide seal?

Rings should be about $22 and a valve guide seal should be about $4.

ALso, if you're going to puy rings in, either get a high compression non sleeve reseelve requiring piston or a 120 kit.

You can get a 107 or 110 (I can't remember which one) Wiseco kit and bore for pretty cheap.

A 120 kit requires a sleeve which is about $125 more.

If you go stock, you should go 1 over and hone your cylinder, which is why the wiseco kit makes sense.

Just my 2 cents. 😢

I love my 1981 twin shocker. I'll post pictures of it soon.

Why can't I just put the rings on the piston and be done with it? I Thought I could put the rings on it and hone the cylinder. Is that not a good idea? I don't even know where to go to have the cylinder bore so I'm kind of screwed there. Plus I'm trying to do it on a tight budget. ( I have a son on the way 😢)

I'm sorry if i'm asking to much, I just want to be prepared.

Tight budget = rings, hone it yourself, get a valve guide seal and be done. 😢