Sign in to follow this  

OT: Costa Rica...Dualsport Heaven

I just got back from my honeymoon in Costa Rica. It was amazing how many dualsports I saw. I would estimate that 98% of the motorcycles I saw were dualsports. I even saw dualsport ATVs, plates, signals and everything. Great country. 😢

Ya i have read some stuff about down there! you can rent WR's I think and get a guide and go on a serious safari!That place looks sweet man. South America has it going on as well lots of places to ride just not a lot of gas stations out in whats left of the rain forest 😢

I remember reading an article about that Jazz Singer LYLE something who was an exracer and avid offroader used to load up a plane with him and his buddies bikes and go down there to do riding...Looked like a blast.

I was fortunate enought to spend 10 days in CR about four years ago. Spent 7 days in Playa Tamarindo, Pacific Coast, and two nights at Aranal, active Volcano. I was there with my wife so I only got to ride one day. Rented an XR 200 electric start. Rode all over the Nicoya Penninsula, alone the beach and up into the mountains.

I was about 12 KM up into the hills off paved road, had not seen a farm for about 6 km. I was stopped enjoying the view and a 70? Y/o man come putting around the corner on a recent Yamaha DT 175. Smiled real big and waved at me. Cool! Went on down the road another 5km a found a little mountain town, pop. 100? Like every other CR town had a Church, soccer field, and a bar! Unfortunatly I only road on dirt roads, although I did find some single track, because I did not want to get charged for wadding up their bike.

Best day there. Pissed my wife off tho', she wanted to take a "sealife" cruise that day.

JL

I just got back from my honeymoon in Costa Rica. It was amazing how many dualsports I saw. I would estimate that 98% of the motorcycles I saw were dualsports. I even saw dualsport ATVs, plates, signals and everything. Great country. 😢

Yeah, CR is excellent --

Its incredible how many different 2strokes you see out there. Definitely more motorcycles than cars (atleast where I was-- Pacific coast, near Jaco).

The SUVs and trucks were really cool too...We dont get half of the good stuff.

Cant wait to go back and ride (ditch the girlfriend and pick up a WR !)

The coolest vehicles, next to the dirtbikes of course, were the diesel 4wd Mitshbishi, I think, Minivans. Real utilitarian. Kind of looked like a UniMog with normal sized wheels. Also there were old Land Cruisers of all different configurations.

JL

Casebeer,

I assume by your name you sampled the local brew? "Imperial" was my favorite. Taste similar to Budwieser. "Pilsen", Taste like a Miller product. Stay away from "Bavarian". Taste like truck-stop toilet seat.

Or so I've been told. 😢

Ron Centanario is THE BEST rum on the face of the earth. Since sugarcane is one of the main crops it only stands to reason.

JL

I think that the van that you are refering to is a Mistubishi Delica. That is the van that Liz and I have here in Okinawa. Its a very formidable 4x4 vehicle. I am starting to scheme a way to import this diesel pig to the states on return. For a minivan its pretty cool.

Eric

Imperial Cervesa all the way. I have 3 Imperial t-shirts. Cool logo.

We rented a Dihatsu Terios. I call it a jacked-up, 4-wheel drive Geo Metro. I laughed when I saw it because it was so small and narrow for a 4-wheel drive. I fell in love with that damn SUV though. I would buy one for my next car if they sold them here. We (read I) took a wrong turn and ended up on this slippery clay mountain trail. I had begun calculating how long it was going to take me to walk back to the last town and how much it was going to cost to get someone to pull my stupid ass out of the mud. Then I gave the little Terios a chance. The little bastard pulled through! I was sold. Any of you that have been to CR know about the roads. This thing took to them like a champ. I love this vehicle because there is nothing to it: radio, a/c, starndard tranny, rubber floors. It is the modern day equivilant to those WWII US Army Jeeps. Light an tough.