Sign in to follow this  

Air Filter Question

Just got my new '05 CRF450 and rode it yesterday at the track.....HOLLY S**T, what a monster. I couldn't keep the front wheel down in any gear, and that's at 5000 feet in denver. I can't imagine the power at sea level. Anyways.......I've always used NO-TOIL air filter products on my other bikes, but this is the first new dirt bike i've owned. How do I clean the oil from the stock filter to switch over to NO-TOIL biodegradable?

😢

pj1 makes an air filter cleaner among other companies. i have found that none of them work well at all. i use gas on all my filters, rinse them and then wash again with dish soap and water, and rinse again. gas supposedly eats the glue on the filters but i have never had any problems whatsoever. kerosene is supposed to work better than gas and is also supposed to be better on the glue but gas is more readily available for me. hope this helps.

silkoline (spelling?) makes a good cleaner that works really well on filters. It comes in a metal can thats probably about a gallon and a half big. just pour some into a smaller container and soak and squeez. works very similar to gas but i havent had it eat through anything yet.

I like the PJ1 spray on filter cleaner. Its an aerosol can so it's real easy to apply evenly across the entire filter. It does a real good job of cleaning filters with convention filter oil. Doesn't do anything to a No Toil oiled filter though !!!

By the way, did you guys know the Honda brand filter oil is made by No Toil, and it's basically the same as No Toil? I had been using Bel Ray filter oil (blue stuff), but ran out, so I just picked up some Honda foam filter oil. When I went to clean the filter with the Honda brand oil on it, all this white sludge came pouring out 😢

am i the only politically incorrect person?? i use gasoline to wash the oil (or regular mineral spirit paint thinner) and shampoo to clean filters. let dry for a few days and oil with regular filter oil.

Mineral spirits works well and, if you put it (2-3 gallons) in a resealable 5-gallon bucket, lasts a long time before you have to replace it.

My routine, for the last 20 years or so, is mineral spirits, dawn w/warm water, rinse, let dry for a day or so, Bel-ray filter oil and waterproof grease on the filter seal.

When I first got my '04 CRF450, I couldn't keep my front wheel down either. I had to adjust my race sag. It was at 115mm and should be at 100mm. This helped tremendously with the corning of the bike.

To clean an air filter, I have used varsol for a few years. It is cheap to buy.

Dip the filter in the varsol and squeeze it a few times. Then wash it with soap and hot water. Then let it dry before oiling the filter.

The varsol removes the grease and oil. The soap removes the dirt and mud.

I read a lot of dirt bike mags. This is where I got this info from.

i used to use regular filter oil also, now I use No-Toil, filters in washing machine, 1/2 cup detergent, 1/2 cleaner, 15 minutes in the dryer, baaaaammmm, ready to use in about 30 minutes.. If your not using it, just try it once, you wont go back...

😢