Sign in to follow this  

need some input/suggestions

Been riding my 04 wr250f for a few months now, (first dirt bike in a lot of years) still having some problems with it's height, mostly with getting on ( have to put the stand down and step on and over) and stopping.. I'm 5-7 with 29-30" inseam and about 200lbs. I can JUST touch the ground (tippy-toe) with it set to stock adjustments.

Now comes the issues, I manley ride trails but I had just taken it on a track to run a few laps, and see what jumping would be like on the new bikes. I bottomed it out a lot withoug getting major air (well it was major for me).

So I came back to TT and started reading about susp, and I just ordered the dvd from TT on basic setup (will be in the end of the week). I went out and measure'd the susp 610mm free, 570mm stadic , and 485mm race, this gives me 40mm free to stadic, and 125mm race sag. It apears to me if I increase the pre load it willl lessen the race sag as well as the stadic, but won't this also increase the seat height? and what affect would the 5.12 spring rate suggested by race tech have? and I'm not even getting into the clicker adj. yet

All of this may come to light when the dvd get's here, but it has my head spinning right now.

Thanks for helping out a non high tec dummy

Different spring with 100mm of 😢 sag would be same seat height.I would do a search or find someone that has done the subframe cut trick.Its where you cut about 5-10mm out of the down tubes reweld them and end up with about a 1 inch lower seat height.Rickys bike im sure gets it done a friend saw his bike at a race and said it looked about 2 inches shorter than stock.

it's a trail bike, its not meant for jumping. im short, 5'4 and i ride a 125, i ride mx so i have learned to deal with the height, hopefully i'll grow. the subframe chop and maybe a slightly trimmed seat along with a linkage for shorties and some lighter springs + revalve would probably help 😢

Dendvc,

You definitely picked one of the tallest bikes out there with 39" of seat height (static). I think for trail riding you got the right springs on the bike. I've measured the rear at 5.0 and the front at .43kg/mm.

You can add some preload to the rear to better handle the landings but going from 125 to 110 or 100 is just going to move the seat height in the wrong direction.

I've had great success with travel limiting the shock and fork. A 10mm limiter in the rear and 15-20 in the front provides about 1" drop in static seat height without giving up much travel.

If your happy with the bike on the trial and you only ocassionally ride mx then adding some preload to the rear and 10cc of oil to the fork should improve those landings.

But definitely change the clickers (at least in the forks) when you switch between the trail and the track. Try at least 5 clicks in on compression when you go to the track.

-Dave

Full Circle Cycle

Dave, I bought the bike based on everything I read, as well as the ground clearance and suspension travel. Knowing I would ride mainley trails, but wanted to be able to take it on a mx track as well. go figure that those things would add up to a tall seat height 😢 But I figured if I have to get used to the new bikes (tall with more than 4-6" of travel), why not get what I want. I guess I have gotten used to it, because I don't notice the height till I stop or fall 😢

I thought the stock spring was a 4.8 in the rear. and that was for about a 160 lb rider. (factory settings)

I also have some problem with the front end washing out, wich from what I've read could also be because of to much sag in the rear. I have already changed the front tire to a 773 wich helped some.I was thinking of raising the forks in the trip clamp (currently at the first ring from the top) but I figured I would set the rear right, before messing with the front.

I also have noticed a little bottiming out on the serious trails and see that after a ride, I have used all the travel in the shocks. now I may be able to dial that out once I understand all the clicker adjustments.

I think I will go ahead and set the race sag to 100-110mm and se how bad that affects the height. as well as if it helps with the cornering. I know everyone says to set sag to 100mm but will it be ok to go to 110?

Thanks guys for the help 😢

Dennis