Sign in to follow this  

Need Advice Yet another E exhaust on S Q with pics

I am not one of lucky ones that had the E exhaust mount right up.

I can get it a bit closer than this pic, but I am maybe 1/4 of an inch off. Everything is loose but I can not push the muffler any further forward.

It is pretty tight for a fabricated bracket and try as I may I can not force it to fit the existing hole. 😢

Img2004-10-25-014Web.jpg

It is tight at the joint between the head pipe and the muffler.

Img2004-10-25-008Web.jpg

Any suggestions. I have read the other posts.

I don't know if I have enough room for a bracket.

I don't think I can expand the bracket hole enough. It would pretty thin if I filed/drilled it out enough. I need about 1/4 of an inch.

What about working with the joint between the head pipe and the muffler to allow the muffler to move forward about 1/4 of an inch?? Like trimming the back end of the head pipe and trimming the gasket a bit to allow the muffler to slide forward more ?

Should I try forcing it/prying it to get the 1/4 inch? I have forced it with hands only so far.

Finally, do you recommend removing the rubber grommet at the rear mounting point? Any advice is appreciated. This won't help the middle mount point any though, but just wondering.

Everyting else fits good.

Img2004-10-25-007Web.jpg

Img2004-10-25-001Web.jpg

Use a tubeing cutter to remove 1/4" from the muffler or whatever tube you need to cut down to make it fit. I suppose you could just hacksaw it too.

Grind off the required amount from the head pipe. 😢

Use a tubeing cutter to remove 1/4" from the muffler or whatever tube you need to cut down to make it fit. I suppose you could just hacksaw it too.

That is the way I am leaning. Hack saw a 1/4 inch off the end of the head pipe and drimmel a 1/4 off of the gasket and the two should slide together enough to make it fit. I wanted to get the experts advice here first though.

Any other ideas? 😢

Any other ideas? 😢

Don't look at me if you think you're looking at an expert. 😢

Any other ideas? 😢

Don't look at me if you think you're looking at an expert. 😢

You're an expert now !! Yours fit right up.

Anymore ideas. Burned, Bronco, don't be shy. I have 5 more hours before I leave work and something is getting cut or drilled tonight 😢 :cry:

Thanks all.

My solution 😢 was to remove some of the offending peg mount, and make a small bracket. As I have another S sub frame, and no intentions in any case to mount up rear pegs,, This was an easy solution for me. bracket.jpg

My solution 😢 was to remove some of the offending peg mount, and make a small bracket.

Thanks Bronco. That is another good idea. I did not consider adjusting the frame bracket to make more room for a mount. That might work for me too, but the bracket may be tricky for me because . . . well, let just say that I am a spelling bee winner, and not a tuner. 😢 :cry:

By the way, nice attention to detail with the safety wire. 😢