Sign in to follow this  

another dumb airbox mod.question

what did you use to cut out your airbox? did you remove the airbox to prevent filings,etc.from getting into the carb.,or just plug up the hole & cut away?i know it's a dumb ace question,but i figure you guys now best.thanks.

I used a Dremel Moto-tool with a cutoff wheel. Did not remove the box, just stuck the vacuum hose in when I was done. I my case, there was very little mess, all the "cuttings" remained attached to the box, due to the heat of the cutoff wheel. 😢

Roto zip would be perfect. Dremel will work, or a sawzall or jig saw. I used a combination of a hole saw and my diegrinder with a carbide rotory file. Cuts real easy and is even esier to clean up.

I did a bit more then the recomended. The more the better.

http://mutualwave.com/images/WJS/100_0037.JPG

This way I can mount my CDI in the factory location for vibration control, and still get good air past it.

http://mutualwave.com/images/WJS/100_0042.JPG

😢

Roto zip would be perfect. Dremel will work, or a sawzall or jig saw. I used a combination of a hole saw and my diegrinder with a carbide rotory file. Cuts real easy and is even esier to clean up.

I did a bit more then the recomended. The more the better.

http://mutualwave.com/images/WJS/100_0037.JPG

This way I can mount my CDI in the factory location for vibration control, and still get good air past it.

http://mutualwave.com/images/WJS/100_0042.JPG

😢

MutualBill- do u run a pre-filter on that K&N? I've been using them in my trucks for years without issue but had a reasonabley competent mechanic tell me they allow significant particulate matter thru without the prefilter. Further if you have to use a pre-filter does that negate the airflow gains from the filter?

No prefilter. I do not run in dusty conditions much. The only thing that could get through it would be extremly fine dust. If you ride in those conditions, you will want a foam filter...and to clean it alot.

If do this mod can i still us the stock jetting?

Haven't been that deep into the bike yet. Kind of scares me.

NOPE, no improvement gained if you don't rejet, possible LOSS... get a 140 main and 25 pilot and an extended mixture screw for easier adjusting. Do a search and find Burned's recipe, follow it to the letter, and you will be thrilled with the improvement. 😢

Don't be scared to LEARN by doing. I can proudly say that NO ONE BUT ME has ever laid a hand on my KLX 400SR. This was my first carb mod that I did myself, I've changed sprockets, bars, modded all kinds of stuff, and the list goes on and on. There is always help here on TT. 😢

Everybody who looks at my bike goes "COOL BIKE"...and I've done it all myself with help from my friends here. 😢

I did the air box mod with the big gun race and the K&N at the same time. I put the dynojet needle in as prescribed on the drz.info site...left the stock jet and pilot in. I set the pilot screw at 3.5 turns out.

Because of this I did not have to take the bowl off the carb. This setup ended up being dead on for the 1000ft of elevation that I ride at. Crisp instant throttle response and an incredible amount of added power. I will note that as of last night I tried a quiet core in my muffler and it killed my performance, and the jetting is off as well. So my prescription is only accurate for the precise systems that I used. You may need to tweek it if you go with a more restrictive system then my Big Gun Race.

The quiet core insert is coming out tonight...and for good.

I used a sabre saw, covered the intake screen with a plastic bag and rubber band. I threw a rag in the box to grab debris while I cut, then vacumed out the box.

Follow the jetting instructions on DRZ Jetting and you will be THRILLED with the results !! 😢