Kawazuki 400 R

JD, Burned,

My Muzzy should arrive this week, making my MOD set complete. I also have the JD kit standing by for install, and will remove the snorkel in the process. I live at 4000ft elevation and I'm wondering if I need to change the PAJ to a 48 also. Will the 165 MJ be too rich for this elevation? I've done nothing to "hop-up" the motor, and don't plan to until I run into problems.

Is there anything else I need to concern myself with while I'm at it?

OOPS...one more: Blue needle 4th clip position, right? Sorry, but I'm not looking at the info insert in the Kit.

Thanks in advance ?,

Tom

hey guys...was just doing some reading in my service manual on the "stock" setup. It shows it as a 165 MJ for "E-01" and a 142 MJ for an "E-03"...Now, just so I know what i've got...before jumping in...the MJ is a 142 and the ID number (I can't see it yet). Right??? ?

Also, looking at the info insert now on the jet kit, it reads I I should use the blue needle with clip in the second from the top positon...good for 3-6k ft elevation. Sound right for me?

One more...I just did an oil change last night, checking the screen...there was a small amount of shavings, very small, and the oil smelled of fuel again. 1000 to 1100 miles on the oil. (FYI)

Cool! OK...next, I put in the JD blue needle clipped on the second from the top/fifth clip position from bottom. I put in the 160 MJ, as you suggested. I won't know how it runs until after the leak down test is done later this afternoon. Oh, yeah...I got the new muzzy on and removed the snorkel. Fuel screw set at 2.5 turns.

DAYAM!!! That Carb was difficult to rotate! I did finally get it done, but had to remove the black oil breather box and to do that, had to remove the midpipe and cannister! What a JOB! Still only took about 30 minutes though.

I still have the CE on, so I haven't done anything else to the carb.

Thanks again. ?

I didn't get the leak-down test done last night. I couldn't get my hands on the right adapter for my bike. I ended up having to order one. Come to find out, the bike shop who was going to do the test for me, didn't have the right adapter either! I don't know what they planned on getting the job done with???

So, anyway, the bike runs a bunch stronger!!! I've got a bunch more bottom end grunt. ? I never had roll on wheelies before, now I've got'em in first, and almost second. ? The throttle response is incredible! Very crisp! I rode it for about 30 minutes total. ? The exhaust smells a bit rich, and most likely is, since the exhaust spout had some soot in it.

I'm thinkin' I might want to go in about a 1/4 turn on the fuel screw, or maybe move the clip down one position on the needle. Question is, what do the experts think?

oh yeah, BOG, i've got a little bog/hesitation throttlin'

off idle, rollin' around doesn't seem to happen, only coming off idle.

rangertom,

If the exhaust is smelling rich, try turning the fuel screw inwards.

If it continues, try running the red marked needle in the 5th from top clip position to reduce the low-end richness. This needle will run leaner at 0-1/4 throttle and may better suit your 4000ft elevation riding.

Thanks,

James

( -and thanks to burned for helping with suggestions. )

Ok James,

I'll give that a shot. I put 50 off-road miles on it yesterday, 76 total miles, and OH WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

I had to take it easy, since it seemed all the ride characteristics were different. But after the first 15 miles I got comfortable and it really rips! I've got SOOOO much more power in the sandy washes.

On the fuel screw, should I turn it in 1/4 or 1/2 turn increments?

The exhaust doesn't smell excessively rich, but the pipe is showing black on the inside. The new head pipe is showing bluing, but the end of the head pipe and all of the mid pipe are bronze. Riding temp yesterday was right about 70, so a beautiful day.

I guess the only other indication I've got to relate, is the 70-80 mph range. That speed seems to be quite under powered in respect to the rest of the speed zone. I don't know if that's expected or not.

Thanks to you and Burned for your expert advice! I've really awakened the beast within! ? :cry:

One more, is there a extended fuel screw made for the FCR??? ?